Help! Neck Balding on Pullet

JMchicks

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2015
Can someone tell me what this balding is on her neck and how can I help her if possible? I haven't seen this on any of the chicks I have raised. I noticed it on the neck first and it keeps growing each day.

Attachments

• IMG_4056.JPG
    IMG_4056.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4057.JPG
    IMG_4057.JPG
    508.9 KB · Views: 12
How old is your pullet? Wondering if it ciukd be juvenile molt, which is sort of a mini molt some pullets go through. Have you checked for mites?
I was told that she is around 3 months. I just recently bought her with 2 others. I have checked her for mites and didn't see any. I will be keeping a look out just in case. The other 2 do not have this issue.

The photo is not clear at all but remember that just like juvenile humans lose teeth, juvenile chickens lose feathers in an adolescent or juvenile molt. It is a natural and normal part of growing up chicken. When hens were only allowed to sit, and thus to brood in the Spring and early Summer it was not an issue, because the weather was warm and fair. Now I am not so certain. Keep your eye on her and watch for pen feathers growing in.

Upon closer look at photos, I see pin feathers. You can see them in the second picture where the skin meets the feathers on the upper edge of the bald spot. This seems young for a juvenile molt, but I’m not sure. Was there any change in their habitat, diet, or anything else? Some chickens are more sensitive than others, and sometimes change, which can cause stress even if the change is minor, can induce molt. Is she eating chick starter or grower?

Upon closer look at photos, I see pin feathers. You can see them in the second picture where the skin meets the feathers on the upper edge of the bald spot. This seems young for a juvenile molt, but I’m not sure. Was there any change in their habitat, diet, or anything else? Some chickens are more sensitive than others, and sometimes change, which can cause stress even if the change is minor, can induce molt. Is she eating chick starter or grower?
When I got home after picking her up I noticed the blading on the neck. I don't know if the previous owner did a sudden change in the routine which started it. There was a brand of food that I was recommend by a store owner to give them based on the age they are and they didn't like it at all. I was filling up their food at least twice a day and all they did was scratch at it. I don't even believe it was the proper food for them at their age now that I think of it) So I gave them the chick starter grower from the brand Nature Wise that I normally use and they are now eating like normal.

The photo is not clear at all but remember that just like juvenile humans lose teeth, juvenile chickens lose feathers in an adolescent or juvenile molt. It is a natural and normal part of growing up chicken. When hens were only allowed to sit, and thus to brood in the Spring and early Summer it was not an issue, because the weather was warm and fair. Now I am not so certain. Keep your eye on her and watch for pen feathers growing in.
Thank you, thats what the others are saying. I will keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom