Help needed with silkie and barred rock rooster genetics

Oisin

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2016
Ireland
Hi everyone so I've had chickens for years and I would like to think I know a good bit at this stage however what I'm going to ask us what I'm unsure about.
Last year I crossed a copper maran rooster and barred rock hen to give me sexlinks and I kept one barred rooster out of the hatches. This year I have crossed the barred rooster with another barred rock hen but all the chicks so far hatched have white spots on their head are these roosters because each one of the 6 to hatch have white spots on their head.

next is will a red pyle Silkie rooster x white hen give me red pyle chicks

thanks for your time to look and help

No. Headspot will not necessary mean males this time.
You won't be making sex links because of the rooster carrying one copy of the barred gene. Same as last time the hen will pass barring to all male offspring but since the rooster also has one copy he will pass it on to some of the offspring and he will pass non barred to others.
They can produce single gene barred males, double gene barred males, barred females and non barred females. So any that are not barred (no head spot) will be females for sure.
Some of the males will have two barried genes so they would be like barred rocks and sexed like barred rock chicks. Males having the larger less distinct edges on head spot. That is sometimes a bit unreliable for someone without barred rock experience. Others can tell pretty easily.
About half of the chicks though will be single gene barred and they will be about even split between males and females but will look the same.
So about 1/4 can be sexed- no head spot pullets.
About 1/4 may be able to be sexed- large less defined head spot males.
And about 1/2 will not be sex able- head spot males and females.

On the silkies I'd have to find out what genetics make red Pyle in silkies. To me red Pyle is dominate white on gold duckwing.
Some breeds use different genes to produce a simular look. Some use splash instead of dominate white which may be what silkies are. Splash on partridge.
White is a whole different mystery. White in silkies unless from a paint project is recessive white on top of what could be several things.
Any way I look at it the cross will not produce red Pyle. Except if the rooster is splash on partridge and the hen is splash on partridge under white. Probably not great odds that would be the case.
If the hen is blue or splash underneath and carries on copy of partridge they could produce some Pyle chicks as well as other colors.
Kind of have to breed and see what it produces kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom