HELP! New Keets Look Frail

TrueStockFarms

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2016
Central Indiana
Last night I received my very first guinea keets. There are six of them that were raised in the same brooder as ducklings. The keets are 3 weeks old this week, have been off the heat lamp for almost two days now, and had an hour drive to my house with the ducklings in the same box. I have never had keets before so I didn't know exactly what to expect but these are SO TINY! They are beginning to get the feathers and according to the lady I got them from they have been growing them for a bout a week now. When I received the box with the keets and ducklings in it there were several keets that were hiding in the corners and not very active. Those ones were also the smallest ones. In the box I noticed that the ducklings are just running the keets over! The keets are only like half the size of the ducklings. One of the keets was holding his head down kinda funny so I watched him for a minute and he seemed somewhat active and aware of his surroundings so I figured he might just be tired. This morning the ducklings were still trampling the keets so I separated them. The two smaller keets are still very frail and slightly less active that the others. I also noticed that the bag of feed that came with them is only 20% protein. I have heard that they need at least 24%? I plan to stop and pick some up for them tonight. According to the heat schedule that I read, the keets do not need supplemental light any longer during the day as it is 80-90 degrees during the day in my area and they have about half of their feathers in already. However, they just seem so small and frail! Is that normal for keets? Is there anything I should be doing to help them?

Last night I received my very first guinea keets. There are six of them that were raised in the same brooder as ducklings. The keets are 3 weeks old this week, have been off the heat lamp for almost two days now, and had an hour drive to my house with the ducklings in the same box. I have never had keets before so I didn't know exactly what to expect but these are SO TINY! They are beginning to get the feathers and according to the lady I got them from they have been growing them for a bout a week now. When I received the box with the keets and ducklings in it there were several keets that were hiding in the corners and not very active. Those ones were also the smallest ones. In the box I noticed that the ducklings are just running the keets over! The keets are only like half the size of the ducklings. One of the keets was holding his head down kinda funny so I watched him for a minute and he seemed somewhat active and aware of his surroundings so I figured he might just be tired. This morning the ducklings were still trampling the keets so I separated them. The two smaller keets are still very frail and slightly less active that the others. I also noticed that the bag of feed that came with them is only 20% protein. I have heard that they need at least 24%? I plan to stop and pick some up for them tonight. According to the heat schedule that I read, the keets do not need supplemental light any longer during the day as it is 80-90 degrees during the day in my area and they have about half of their feathers in already. However, they just seem so small and frail! Is that normal for keets? Is there anything I should be doing to help them?

Keets should be started at 95°F for the first week and have the temperature reduced by 5°F one a week. At the end of 3 weeks the temperature should be 80°F for their fourth week. Just because it is 80° to 90° during the daytime does not mean it is okay to leave them without heat during the night. It has been 80° to 100° here during the daytime but it was in the low 40°s last night.

Keets should not be brooded with ducklings for a number of reasons, the size difference being just one reason. The keets need to be kept dry which the ducklings make it nearly impossible to do.

The twenty percent protein is the proper level for the ducklings but it is far too low for the keets. I feed my keets a quality 28% protein turkey gamebird starter. Not feeding the keets the proper level of protein can cause problems later in life.

Good luck.

My keets are 4 weeks old, even at 3 they were quite robust and flying. The outter most layers are completely feathered on mine but at night they definitely need the heat if it drops below 80. And definitely should not be in with the ducks. Number 1, size. Number 2, different diseases and different levels of immunity.

I would try to find a higher protein feed, maybe do some probiotic in their water (sold at any pet store but I get mine at Rural King or Orschelns. Let us know how they are doing.

They are doing better now that I separated them from the ducks. Yesterday when I got home from work they were very active and all looked happy. It has been dropping to about 70 at night so I think I need to bring them to the house and put some heat on them at night. I bought them some higher protein feed and hopefully that helps them too!

I do not follow the 95 degree rule. Mine stay indoors under a heat lamp for 2-3 days and then I move them to my oudoor brooder where they have two heatpads on different settings they can go under to warm up.I let them start free ranging at 10-14 days and so far have not lost any. Younger than that, they sometimes get separated from the group and instead of running toward their calls they might run in the complete opposite direction (an early indicator of general guinea stupidity).

Here are some of the keets in my brooder. I just moved the month olds out so the oldest/biggest are 3 weeks old:

Here are some month old chicks and keets along with my two 8-week old guineas:

Guineas tend to fret easily. With the ducks out of the way

I do not follow the 95 degree rule. Mine stay indoors under a heat lamp for 2-3 days and then I move them to my oudoor brooder where they have two heatpads on different settings they can go under to warm up.I let them start free ranging at 10-14 days and so far have not lost any. Younger than that, they sometimes get separated from the group and instead of running toward their calls they might run in the complete opposite direction (an early indicator of general guinea stupidity). Here are some of the keets in my brooder. I just moved the month olds out so the oldest/biggest are 3 weeks old: Here are some month old chicks and keets along with my two 8-week old guineas: Guineas tend to fret easily. With the ducks out of the way
I would not recommend free ranging for keets that are mailed. From what I gather there is no older parent flock. These are her first. Free ranging outside at 10-14 days old and haven't lost any??? That seems impossible, especially where I live. Owls hawks coyotes foxes skunks coons cats dogs.... I think my keets must be jumbo cause mine at 3 weeks old were much larger. I have one that is the size of those 3 week olds but he has had issues ftom the start.

Mine were definitely not raised right... they are so tiny that I could almost fit their whole bodies in my fist. They were free from a friend of mine... I am just hoping they all make it now

Mine were definitely not raised right... they are so tiny that I could almost fit their whole bodies in my fist. They were free from a friend of mine... I am just hoping they all make it now

My tiny one was nutrient deficient in the egg. Maybe yolk was small or got busted near end. I do not know. He had an eye deformity and is blind in one eye and suffered slipped tendon which I have been trying to treat since it happened 11 days ago. he is strong and is happy and will survive. Once I release them into the yard... who knows how long he will last. I am just trying to give him the best chance. If the fight is there they can make it for quite some time. Yours will be fine I think.

Back
Top Bottom