Help!!!! Newbie here with with black spots on Roosters pea comb and wattles

CrystalMosko

Chirping
Jul 1, 2022
Hayden, ID
So I noticed a couple of black spots on one of my Roosters about 2 days ago. Since I go down at about 6:15 am (it's still dark outside) and once to collect eggs and then once at night (again dark)....I just went today to check on my flock ( 9 hens and 2 roosters). Both roosters have SEVERE black spots on them. It is cold where I'm at, but frostbite would effect the edges, no? Plus, it isn't effecting the other chickens combs. I'm not sure what to do???
I'm attaching pictures of both roosters. Please help me.

Attachments

• IMG_8843 2.JPG
    IMG_8843 2.JPG
    605.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8846.JPG
    IMG_8846.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8854.JPG
    IMG_8854.JPG
    636.9 KB · Views: 23
So I noticed a couple of black spots on one of my Roosters about 2 days ago.
If by roosters you mean more than one.. that is a result of fighting. I see later that you do mean two.

If things have gone back to normal then they worked it out and should get on fine.

ETA: you're correct that doesn't look like frost bite. Nor does it look like fowl pox.. all signs point to my first conclusion.

If by roosters you mean more than one.. that is a result of fighting. I see later that you do mean two.

If things have gone back to normal then they worked it out and should get on fine.

ETA: you're correct that doesn't look like frost bite. Nor does it look like fowl pox.. all signs point to my first conclusion.
Oh my gosh!!!! I hate to say it, but I'm relieved. I was soooo worried about something that would possibly spread to my girls. I just couldn't believe that the boys are so bad and yet the girls show NO SIGNS of anything. Thank you!

You may start considering which of the roosters you are going to keep. You only need one of them with 9 hens, and they may hurt one another more seriously next time.
Yeah, I originally didn't want ANY roosters. Since we've raised them from chicks we were attached. I tried to re-home one and it fell through. I will try again in the Spring.

Back
Top Bottom