Help!!!! Newbie here with with black spots on Roosters pea comb and wattles

So I noticed a couple of black spots on one of my Roosters about 2 days ago. Since I go down at about 6:15 am (it's still dark outside) and once to collect eggs and then once at night (again dark)....I just went today to check on my flock ( 9 hens and 2 roosters). Both roosters have SEVERE black spots on them. It is cold where I'm at, but frostbite would effect the edges, no? Plus, it isn't effecting the other chickens combs. I'm not sure what to do???
I'm attaching pictures of both roosters. Please help me.
It’s just dried blood, they got in a fight. You don’t have enough hens to have 2 roosters together. Get some more hens if you are attached to the both of them.

The hens don't affect it as much as you'd think.
I have a lot of experience, if they want to fight they will. But if they are civil with each other they will still fight over hens, other things too, but less 20 hens with 2 roosters can lead to fights.
There are exceptions, two elderly women have 2 roosters and 1hen and they are all doing good. One guy is a huge white mix breed rooster, hen and other rooster are a the offspring of a silver laced polish hen and a tiny bantam blue silkie. They are small.
I think it’s pretty crazy they all get along, the polish/silkie crosses have been there for two years now, the white rooster has been there for 3 or 4 years. I gave all them to the ladies for free as juveniles. I gave them 8 hens to go with her rooster. One was secretly a rooster. But predictors got all the other females while they were young and of course the roosters survived.
I see the chickens when I take my kids to/from school and they are looking good.
Disclaimer! Don’t have more rooster than hens ever.

I have a lot of experience too, and you are right to a point. But 9 hens is enough to be able to tell if they are going to fight they will. 9 hens or 20. But they don't look that bad. And if they were done fighting when OP got there, they should have worked it out already.
Bottom line: they are OK and seem to be getting along fine now. Why sell them when they are done doing the very thing they are getting sold for? Also, now the OP has seen the worst they will do. They fought all by themselves without anybody to break it up. It won't be worst then what just happened. So why pressure the OP to sell?

It’s just dried blood, they got in a fight. You don’t have enough hens to have 2 roosters together. Get some more hens if you are attached to the both of them.
Well, when I 'thought' I had 2 roosters I had my hubby take one to the local feed store (they will take them off your hands for a re-homing fee of $5) and the clerk behind the counter told my hubby it was a hen. LOL....so back he came. Since they don't take them when the weather drops...I'm stuck with him until Spring. I originally asked for ALL hens, but.....ya know how THAT goes. LOL

Well, when I 'thought' I had 2 roosters I had my hubby take one to the local feed store (they will take them off your hands for a re-homing fee of $5) and the clerk behind the counter told my hubby it was a hen. LOL....so back he came. Since they don't take them when the weather drops...I'm stuck with him until Spring. I originally asked for ALL hens, but.....ya know how THAT goes. LOL
9 hens out of 11 is petty good odds, as sexing isn't 100% accurate. The clerk might not be familiar with the breed, for example an orpington juvenile rooster looks famine to anyone who has RIR, or leghorns, the orpington develops secondary sex characteristics at an older age comparatively. Yours look like black laced gold wyandotte, pretty guys. Hope they don't fight anymore.

I have a lot of experience too, and you are right to a point. But 9 hens is enough to be able to tell if they are going to fight they will. 9 hens or 20. But they don't look that bad. And if they were done fighting when OP got there, they should have worked it out already.
Bottom line: they are OK and seem to be getting along fine now. Why sell them when they are done doing the very thing they are getting sold for? Also, now the OP has seen the worst they will do. They fought all by themselves without anybody to break it up. It won't be worst then what just happened. So why pressure the OP to sell?
Hopefully they are done! They seem fine right now. I will be taking the yournger one to the store to re-home in the Spring. They are both pretty nice roosters, but considering I didn't want ANY...one is more than enough. I was told by 3 different people up here that i SHOULD keep one as he will protect the flock. I don't know (this being my first year) about that, but if anything gets into the run, hoping that's true.

9 hens out of 11 is petty good odds, as sexing isn't 100% accurate. The clerk might not be familiar with the breed, for example an orpington juvenile rooster looks famine to anyone who has RIR, or leghorns, the orpington develops secondary sex characteristics at an older age comparatively. Yours look like black laced gold wyandotte, pretty guys. Hope they don't fight anymore.
Yeah, I'm hoping that they don't either! Yes, both b-l-g wyandottes, they are usually pretty good boys. =)

My advice - choose one of the rooster and cull the other. Even if they have settled their dispute for now, sooner or later they will fight again and chances are one will be injured to a point where you will be forced to cull him. Save yourself time and nerves and do it now. 7 - 10 hens per rooster is the norm, but that's not the only reason they will fight. Even with rooster that have grown up together and are "friends" things can heat up when one shows any sign of weakness.

My advice - choose one of the rooster and cull the other. Even if they have settled their dispute for now, sooner or later they will fight again and chances are one will be injured to a point where you will be forced to cull him. Save yourself time and nerves and do it now. 7 - 10 hens per rooster is the norm, but that's not the only reason they will fight. Even with rooster that have grown up together and are "friends" things can heat up when one shows any sign of weakness.
I think that's what their planning on doing.

Back
Top Bottom