Help! Older hens drawing blood!

yellowjacketgal

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
I added four three month old pullets to the henhouse. The hens had socialized with them lightly in the yard a couple of times and they seemed to mostly leave each other alone. I knew that the older girls would pick on them a bit, establishing a previous order and whatnot, but two of them are now bloodied as a result. What should I do?

Separate them back out. You may need to house them next to each other longer especially since some are bloodied. I wouldn't try again until the young ones are fully healed as blood and wounds can attract unwanted attention.

I added four three month old pullets to the henhouse. The hens had socialized with them lightly in the yard a couple of times and they seemed to mostly leave each other alone. I knew that the older girls would pick on them a bit, establishing a previous order and whatnot, but two of them are now bloodied as a result. What should I do?
Separate them. I would not leave them together as chickens once they taste blood can keep on picking on the bloody spot. That is what happened to my Aunts Chickens years ago. I would let them heal up and do the see but not touch for several days until you can trust them to be together. That is just what I would do. I don't think the picking will just stop once the blood starts. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you, friends! I managed to separate the pullets from the fully grown hens. I put my pullets in a dog kennel in the run, so all of the chickens are in the same place but will be able to see but not touch. Hopefully they'll heal up quickly and we can try again.

Just wondering what "fully healed" means. I have a 13 week old chick that got out of the area we had for her & her 6 'sisters' into the big hen run about 5 weeks ago. They pecked all the feathers & skin off her head. We thought she would die, but has recovered nicely. We have had her isolated, and have let her out with the other chicks occasionally, but they have pecked at her scab, so we keep her separate (right next to others). Now, we would like to combine the chicks with the main flock, but want to combine the injured chick with the other chicks first & am wondering if she is fully healed. She is mostly healed. It looks like skin, not scab and feathers are growing in, but there is still a bare spot on her head.

If you decide to put her with the others I would supervise closely and see if they start to pick at her bald spot. It's funny how if they see something different on one they can use that as an excuse to pick. You would think it should be okay but I am not positive what the reaction of the others will be for sure. I hope that it works out well for all concerned.

Back
Top Bottom