HELP! One of my 3 day old chicks can't poop!

gg706

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
He pushes and pushes to poop but nothing comes out. I picked him up and he had a hard lump inside. I put his rear under warm water and kindof massaged him and gently massaged the lump and lots of poop came out. I put him back in the brooder and he is still pushing and nothing coming out. His anus looked inflamed and irritated. Not sure if this something he can grow out of or if I need to spare him the suffering of a horrible death. PLEASE HELP? Anyone had this problem before. If so what did you do? How did it turn out? Not sure if this makes a difference but this chick is a rumpless Araucana.

*UPDATE* I did the massaging and warm water one more time and put olive oil on his bum......now he is preening, drank water, and is now eating. I have yet to see him poop on his own. I HOPE he is on the mend. Anyone have experience with this??????

I wish I had experience with that with birds, but I don't. I have a lot of experience with other baby animals and, of course, I'm a firm believer that nature usually sorts things out and it's us poor over-thinking humans that get more upset than anyone!! With other constipated baby animals, they just eventually go.. never seen one die from being impacted. I hope that's the case here and you're in my thoughts!!

I don't have any experience with this, but this might be a good idea! if you have a container big enough for the chicks and some water and food and enough room for him to move if it is to hot or cold with the heat lamp, put him by himself for a couple hours or so with clean bedding, come back and check to see if he is pooping. make sure hes by himself and the other chicks cant get to him. but make sure hes next to them so when you put him back they remember him. that might solve it. :)

That chick was pasted up. You did the right thing by freeing up the mass with warm water and oil. The vent area may be red and inflamed from any feathers that were pulled out when you cleaned it or from the pasting up itself. If it still looks like its trying to eliminate but is unsuccessful, check again for pasting up. I've read adding a little apple cider vinegar to their water prevents pasting up. I haven't done it though. I have always been hyper vigilant in checking and treating this. Especially the first few weeks!

Thank You for the input. He was going last night, now this AM he is pushing and nothing again. I do have cider vinegar in the water. I dont see anything on his bum. I am watching him closely. Is there anything else I can do for him or just let nature take its course?

This happened to me a month ago with a three day old EE. I was constantly checking for pasty butt- but she some how slipped through the cracks. I did everything you've been doing but she just couldn't pull through. She died about 5 hours later. You at least got the baby to relieve itself- I couldn't. Don't get discouraged by my experience, just keep doing what you're doing! Unfortunately, it's up to nature now what happens.

Just keep doing what you are doing, through out the day. He still has a chance! DON'T GIVE UP!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom