Help! Pasty Butt

Question on the probiotics... I can go to the store for regular plain yogurt, but I already have Cool+ Plain. Can I use this instead of regular yogurt? This is our 3rd season getting chicks, but this year we are having the hardest time with pasty rear ends. We normally get full size chicks, but this year my daughter wanted some fancy show birds. We purchased 5 Red Shoulder Yokohamas and 5 Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantams. We lost one yokohama already on their 2nd day. The other 4 yokohamas all have pasty butt and one of my d'Uccles as it as well. This is our first time with bantams, so their small size is a bit intimidating as we are used to larger chicks, ducklings and poults.

The chicks are now 6 days old. One of my poults looks like might be developing it as well. We have been feeding eggs every day, gave some fine grit and moved the heating lamp up a bit. I am not too concerned with my turkey. But the little yokohamas and d'Uccle are so small, it's heartbreaking to find one in the morning.

We've not used yogurt before, but am willing to try anything to keep these cute little guys from going down. I am been babying my d'Uccle as the little guy would be pushed down by the larger chicks and flop on the ground. This morning he is much better, the larger chicks are still pushing him over but he gets right back up. I would have bet money he wouldn't have made it through the night last night, but he did. A little fighter! Now I need to do my part and help him internally.

FYI - I have my poults separated from my chicks as I have them on a higher protein crumble. All of my chicks are together in the brooder. I have a dividing wall between the two species and they share a lamp. My temperature is right about 90 degrees and they look comfortable, they don't bunch up and do not stay under the lamp much. I've never had an issue with crowding at this stage, but I saw one post saying it could help cause pasty butt. Do you recommend I move the chicks into their own brooder? I do have multiple available to me. My brooder is around 4 ft by 2ft. The chicks are taking about 2/3 of it now with the poults in the other section.

Note - we only put the affected chicks in this box for the photo.
yippiechickie.gif
I tend to ramble, so I highlighted my questions.
big_smile.png

This answer is rather late for your needs, but I am adding it for future readers of this post and who also find another darkish lump on a baby chick near the vent. I think that you might have been referring to the chick's "belly button" which (similar to human babies) is a small amount of tissue that must dry up and and fall off the chick naturally. NEVER pull off this dried tissue as doing so can disembowel the chick. So be sure you only remove the pasty butt poo and not the belly button.

One of my baby chicks seems to have pasty butt. I cleaned it yesterday and today have noticed its not active, just sitting with its eyes closed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently hand feeding one of my week old Barred Rock chick a mixture of Chick Starter feed mixed with room temp water, molasses and plain greek yogurt. She's so much smaller than the rest (though active) and has had a pretty bad case of pasty butt. I've a feeling she'll be my favorite if we can get through this. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom