Help! Performed an Eggtopsy on a living egg!

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
I was incubating some quail eggs and all of them had hatched except one. I waited 5 days but there was still no signs of life, and it had a thick shell so I couldn't see anything when I candled it. I performed an eggtopsy but was still careful, just Incase it was still alive. I broke through and found it was breathing. I had accidentally hit a blood vessel, and it was bleeding quite a bit. What do I do now? Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• PXL_20230516_060927365.jpg
    PXL_20230516_060927365.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 48
What did you do? Is it still alive? No experience with quail but chickens take 24h from first pip until yolk absorbs. Will need to keep the membrane moist.

Is she still alive? I would apply coconut oil to the membranes to prevent them drying out. I tried to help a pheasant chick out today as she had pipped the pointed end over 24 hours ago with no sign of progression. I made a little hole in the other end as I was told there would be no blood vessels there. I removed some more shell and made a tiny hole in the membrane that end and to my shock she is now bleeding quite alot, however I don't know why as that end isn't supposed to have blood vessels to cause bleeding. I'm now worried I will be the cause of her death.

Whatever you do though keep humidity very high in the incubator and dampen the membrane preferably with coconut oil but anything if you don't have any oil.

What did you do? Is it still alive? No experience with quail but chickens take 24h from first pip until yolk absorbs. Will need to keep the membrane moist.
I've just put it back in the incubator. It's still moving and I think it might be going into external pipping position, as its beak was moving upwards.

Is she still alive? I would apply coconut oil to the membranes to prevent them drying out. I tried to help a pheasant chick out today as she had pipped the pointed end over 24 hours ago with no sign of progression. I made a little hole in the other end as I was told there would be no blood vessels there. I removed some more shell and made a tiny hole in the membrane that end and to my shock she is now bleeding quite alot, howeverve I don't know why as that end isn't supposed to have blood vessels to cause bleeding. I'm now worried I will be the cause of her death.

Whatever you do though keep humidity very high in the incubator and dampen the membrane preferably with coconut oil but anything if you don't have any oil.
Are there any other oils I could use? Also, Good luck with the pheasant chick. How close does it seem to hatching? And my incubator is cheap, so I can't adjust the humidity. I've just been adding extra wet sponges.

Are there any other oils I could use? Also, Good luck with the pheasant chick. How close does it seem to hatching? And my incubator is cheap, so I can't adjust the humidity. I've just been adding extra wet sponges.
That will help a lot. The one I assisted I just used water on the membrane, needs doing more often is the only problem.

Back
Top Bottom