Help please...3 weeks old. Pullet or Rooster and what breed??

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
I was given two chicks and told they were pullets and either a Rhode Island Red or Golden sex link. First time chicken owner. We have two other chicks of different breeds, total of 4. Is the light one a Roo? Are they GSL? The ones in question hatched together 4/3 and there’s such a huge difference in size?? Is the little one ok? Also, the light one is looking a little rough, is it just because the feathers are coming in? I love these little chickies so much already and want the best for them. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 74F4147F-856C-4BAE-A778-DDE9E8E492B8.jpeg
    74F4147F-856C-4BAE-A778-DDE9E8E492B8.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 98518089-FBB1-4F65-AAEC-B3E8F949E0E6.jpeg
    98518089-FBB1-4F65-AAEC-B3E8F949E0E6.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 68EC1806-D707-4F46-B342-8B137C8A143D.jpeg
    68EC1806-D707-4F46-B342-8B137C8A143D.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 40
I was given two chicks and told they were pullets and either a Rhode Island Red or Golden sex link. First time chicken owner. We have two other chicks of different breeds, total of 4. Is the light one a Roo? Are they GSL? The ones in question hatched together 4/3 and there’s such a huge difference in size?? Is the little one ok? Also, the light one is looking a little rough, is it just because the feathers are coming in? I love these little chickies so much already and want the best for them. Thank you!!
Bump

The big one looks very much like a Cornish X, and most likely a cockerel by that comb. If the little guy is a meat bird, that would explain why he's so much bigger than the other two, as they grow at a much faster rate than normal layers.
These were my little meaties at 3 weeks, much bigger than the others.

Attachments

• 20210327_132830.jpg
    20210327_132830.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210327_132716.jpg
    20210327_132716.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 38
Oh my. At the moment I’m speechless. The chickies have become our family members and we got them for eggs. I can’t believe we might have a meat bird, but they sure do look alike... 😳😢

Bump

Just wait, they go from cute little fluff ball's to ugly little dinosaurs, lol, then become beautiful ladies, not the meat birds though

Welcome to BYC, @Jld13!

It is possible you have a Cornish cross meat bird on your hands BUT I think the other possibility is that your other chick is just very small. How old is the black/white chick that you have? It seems to be about the same size as the chick in question.

Based on that large comb at 3 weeks, I think the lighter, larger chick is unfortunately likely to be a rooster, regardless of its breed, which won't produce many eggs for you.

They might both be GSL--if they are, likely one is a pullet and the other is a cockerel. The lighter one's chick fluff is not dark enough to be a RIR.

Edited to add: Both look pretty healthy from the pictures. The scruffiness you may be seeing in the larger chick is normal in the transitional phase to adult feathering.

You do not want a cornish as they must be processed at a certain age. It does look like a rooster, and they grow fast and sometimes at a rate that outgrows the strength of there legs making walking difficult for them.
I would enquire about returning this one and asking for a replacement...before you get more attached.
The other 2 chicks I see in your pictures look great!

Back
Top Bottom