Help please! Day 21 seramas and issues!

chloemae

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2014
PA
Hi Everyone,
Thank you in advance-I am desperate. I have hatched seramas before but this time I have issues. Today is day 21 (these were shipped eggs as a side note). I have at least a half dozen eggs in lockdown in my Brinsea Eco. Temps have been at 100, humidity 30-50% and at lockdown 50-65%. All viable on day 18 lock down. I candle my eggs at day 10 and 18 and hand turn until day 18. Air cells beautifully positioned.
Today is day 21. I tried to assist 2 to hatch. I have attached pics. I am so upset/confused. They appeared 'shrink wrapped' but did have a much bigger yolk sac and more vasculature than I would expect. They both passed (I used a small amount of coconut oil to keep the membrane moist/intact versus a small air hole and when they passed, I opened the egg shell/membrane completely-they were positioned completely to hatch).
I guess my confusion is they appear shrink wrapped but do not look ready to hatch yolk/vascular wise. I need advice, please, I am such a worrier and never want to do harm. Thank you in advance.
20231208_132123.jpg
20231208_132119.jpg

I raise Seramas. I’m sorry for the losses. 😞 They can be difficult to artificially incubate. I do it when I have to intervene, but I’d rather my teeny broody girls do it. I’m guessing the low hatch rate is likely due to temperature and humidity fluctuations. I place several digital thermometer/hygrometer combos around the incubator floor to monitor for the slightest changes. Don’t rely on what the incubator shows you. The temperature and humidity will read different inside. Good wishes for the rest of your hatch. ❤️

Last edited:
I raise Seramas. I’m sorry for the losses. 😞 They can be difficult to artificially incubate. I do it when I have to intervene, but I’d rather my teeny broody girls do it. I’m guessing the low hatch rate is likely due to temperature and humidity fluctuations. I place several digital thermometer/hygrometer combos around the incubator floor to monitor for the slightest changes. Don’t rely on what the incubator shows you. The temperature and humidity will read different inside. Good wishes for the rest of your hatch. ❤️
Thank you, I have the incubators in an area that is stagnant airflow wise. I have the mercury thermometer each Brinsea came with as well as an analog and digital thermometer in each. I am so upset. I appreciate the kind words. I feel just awful....

Thank you, I have the incubators in an area that is stagnant airflow wise. I have the mercury thermometer each Brinsea came with as well as an analog and digital thermometer in each. I am so upset. I appreciate the kind words. I feel just awful....
Don’t beat yourself up over it. It’s heartbreaking, but they are more difficult to hatch than other breeds. I hope I’ve been helpful.

I checked all of the eggs, three more had 'live' but very weak, almost deformed looking chicks. Everyone had a sizeable non-absorbed yolk sac. I am crushed, everyone passed away....I appreciate everyone who responded and offered kind words. It gets me every time. This (serama) and my last hatch were unsuccessful (turken neck/showgirl). I am frustrated as I have hatched both successfully from shipped eggs prior. I have to figure out what I may have done incorrectly....

I checked all of the eggs, three more had 'live' but very weak, almost deformed looking chicks. Everyone had a sizeable non-absorbed yolk sac. I am crushed, everyone passed away....I appreciate everyone who responded and offered kind words. It gets me every time. This (serama) and my last hatch were unsuccessful (turken neck/showgirl). I am frustrated as I have hatched both successfully from shipped eggs prior. I have to figure out what I may have done incorrectly....
The last one had a thick band of yolk, unabsorbef, going on the end of day 21.....the chick passed but I am still trying to figure out why....

Back
Top Bottom