Help Please! Duck is bleeding while hatching

Definitely cool, Casport! It'll totally help when I finally am able to go back to school to get my vet tech accreditation. Right now my biggest hindrance to that is my little web-footed one. :p

Ok thanks for all the info
smile.png
I will turn his temp down a little. And make sure the humidity is around 50%. Hopefully by the morning he isn't breathing so heavily and is dryer. I'll keep you guys updated! Thank you so much for your help!
Like Kathy said, is he with other eggs, if so don't lower that humidity, do you have a fan? If so keep temp at 99.5 to 100 if no fan then you need to raise it to 101-102

So I wonder if I should lower the temp if he is shivering at 99. Or is he shivering from something else?

I don't understand the logic here? Why would a shivering duck stop shivering if you lowered his temp? It's the humidity, the humidity is keeping him wet and cold. get that lowered, if there are no other eggs, then you don't need any humidity..

That's usually not a good sign if it's shaking like that. :/ You gave it sugar water, yes? Have you tried to get some vitamins into the lil' guy? Wobbles was touch and go when he hatched, too. I gave him some crushed B-complex vitamin and some sugar in an eyedropper and it really did him wonders. Remember, it's had some blood loss, birds have evolved to only carry as much blood as is absolutely essential for survival in order to be lightweight, so any blood loss, especially during hatch, can really take its toll.

Edit: Just saw the video. That's not shivering. It looks like muscle spasms of some sort. Give it lots of TLC and keep an eye on it, other than that there isn't much you can do. :/

You can see his bottom jaw shivering.

If there are no other eggs waiting to hatch, you should get that humidity lowered. They only need the humidity while they are hatching so membranes don't dry on them. High humidity is not good (or necessary) for them after hatching. The humidity will also make it take longer for him to dry and fluff up. Maybe you could put him on a towel inside the incubator so he's on a nice dry surface, and that will also block some of that humidity from getting up to him from below. If you have vents you can open in the incubator you can try that as well to get him more air (but not too much that the temperature drops of course).

AGREE, doesn't need humidity..

OK, well my first question would be do you have a Fan in that bator, if so keep the temp around 99.5 to 100, if NOT get it up to 101-102. Second thing get all paper towels out of there. If after ONE hour he does NOT start drying off, then you will need to give him a warm bath get any GOOY Stuff off of him, if he has any. That stuff is HORRIBLE. Then I would get a Hair dryer, set the setting on LOW, to dry him up...

If he is still shivering after you have tried that and heavy breathing then he may have some internal issues with his lungs.. I would not put my money on that yet though.. My guess would be after you get him dried he will start acting like a duck..

Last edited:
OK, well my first question would be do you have a Fan in that bator, if so keep the temp around 99.5 to 100, if NOT get it up to 101-102.  Second thing get all paper towels out of there.  If after ONE hour he does NOT start drying off, then you will need to give him a  warm bath get any GOOY Stuff off of him, if he has any.  That stuff is HORRIBLE.  Then I would get a Hair dryer, set the setting on LOW, to dry him up... 

If he is still shivering after you have tried that and heavy breathing then he may have some internal issues with his lungs.. I would not put my money on that yet though.. My guess would be after you get him dried he will start acting like a duck..

That nature drench perked my guys right up, thanks for suggesting that @Lacrystol, the warm bath also does great to stimulate them. Mine took almost the whole 24hrs to fully dry. They were pretty gooey, and I had my humidity at 50. Hope the little guy gets better!!

Back
Top Bottom