Help Please (Duck not standing or walking doesn't seem to have any feeling in legs)

momsbusybee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm so lost for words, hoping someone can help me...

I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to find out what maybe going on or wrong with my poor little boy duck, he is not able to stand or walk and he just lays with his legs sprawled behind today we have seen he has been moving around using his beak and his wings to get around and we have been checking his legs and feet and they feel some what cold, I feel like he will never be able to walk again and we are not hoping this will happen. We have been putting him in the warm water and he isn't using his legs or feet why he is in there, and we have tried to put his feet up under him like he is sitting and he will just move them right back behind him.

He seems like he isn't having any feeling in his legs but he is drinking and eating just fine and is acting full of life but not feeling in his poor legs.

So is there anything we can do to help him?

How old is this little guy? Did anything happen? How long has this been going on? What kind of food are you using?

@Amiga
@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
@jtn42248
@City farm
@caesargirl
@Debs Flock

You are doing well so far - it could be niacin deficiency in his food. Some ducklings just need more, and it is impossible to know ahead of time.

He may also have a pinched nerve.

I would keep up lukewarm floating in the tub time every day, watched closely.

Are you giving brewer's yeast ?

I would also consider a sling for him - if you can take the pressure off the nerve (if that is the problem), things may improve.

I am not trying to guilt you or blame anyone - but has he been dropped or stepped on? I just want to know because if so, then it is more likely a pinched nerve. Those can recover, not always, but sometimes.

Last edited:
How old is this little guy? Did anything happen? How long has this been going on? What kind of food are you using?

@Amiga
@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
@jtn42248
@City farm
@caesargirl
@Debs Flock
He was born in March of this year, he was doing every time we would put him outside for a few hours and bring him back in but he would be down for like until the next day then back up and walking just fine but this time around he has been down like this going on 4-days. We changed him back over to the start feed for game chickens/ducks.

You are doing well so far - it could be niacin deficiency in his food. Some ducklings just need more, and it is impossible to know ahead of time.

He may also have a pinched nerve.

I would keep up lukewarm floating in the tub time every day, watched closely.

Are you giving brewer's yeast ?

I would also consider a sling for him - if you can take the pressure off the nerve (if that is the problem), things may improve.

I am not trying to guilt you or blame anyone - but has he been dropped or stepped on? I just want to know because if so, then it is more likely a pinched nerve. Those can recover, not always, but sometimes.
We have picked up some stuff to put in his drinking water and I have been doing the lukewarm water with him every so many hours and I rub his legs and feet after his baths.

I haven't started the brewer's yeast yet since I wasn't able to find it in the store's by me so I had to order it offline and now waiting for it to come in and do you know how much I would need to give him on that?

No he hasn't been dropped but when we have tried to put his sister in the pin with him few weeks ago she stepped on him since he wasn't up walking around so we had to remove her and he came our inside house duck.

I would keep the diaper off for now - if he'll let you gently rub his back, I would try that. I would also put some T-Relief ointment or comfrey and St. John's wort salve (you can make it or may be able to find it at a health food store) on his legs - just a tiny dab, rub it in gently. Comfrey stimulates the growth of healthy new cells, St. John's wort is said to help nerve cells.

Feel free to look into that for yourself - just offering ideas.

TLC, good nutrition, often go a long way - ducks are good at recovery, if given the chance.

I would keep the diaper off for now - if he'll let you gently rub his back, I would try that. I would also put some T-Relief ointment or comfrey and St. John's wort salve (you can make it or may be able to find it at a health food store) on his legs - just a tiny dab, rub it in gently. Comfrey stimulates the growth of healthy new cells, St. John's wort is said to help nerve cells.

Feel free to look into that for yourself - just offering ideas.

TLC, good nutrition, often go a long way - ducks are good at recovery, if given the chance.
I don't put the diaper on him I just have him laying on them since he has very watery poop and it helps for clean up and I don't have to wash so much towels...lol I gave him a bath this morning and I seen he was moving his feet a little bit not much and I have been rubbing his legs and back when I get him out of the bath.

I will have to go to Wal-Mart and look for that stuff and start to use it on him.

Is there anything I can give him to help with his poop? He has very bad watery poop and it's been like this since he started not able to walk and I have to wash him up a lot to get the poop off of him because he can't move after he lets it go.....

Back
Top Bottom