HELP! Please help me get Dahlia well?!--UPDATE: NEVER MIND. SHE DIED

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
I got six new birds from a breeder a week ago Sunday. I was overjoyed: Ive wanted show quality birds for the longest time. One is to be my showmanship bird. Well, imagine my suprise when they start sneezing the same night. Im mortified--as is the breeder. We're not sure why theyre doing this. I lost the two youngsters this weekend--the three month old babies..And Im wondering if their little bodies just couldnt take the stress/cold/climate change/respitory problem. Im heartbroken, and theres one more that acts ill. She reminds me of my old showmanship bird, and somehow that makes her very special to me. Ive drug her inside the housein a rabbit cage (dont tell anyone.....LOL) And she's very weak. I keep expecting to find her dead..but apparently she's a fighter. But SHE WEIGHS NOTHING. What should I do? I dont want to lose this one! I've named her, a rare priveledge among my chickens), and I dont want Dahlia to die. I just made a concoction of gatorade and water (what i do when i get new chicks as well). And she's drinking it on her own just fine. I got a greek yogurt and she's lapping it off a spoon. Any other recomendations.
I have this "new alternative to terramyacin stuff" antibiotic..but I dont want to give it as im afraid it will clear her up enough but make her a carrier of whatever this is. I have some Vet Rx too but Im afraid it will do the same thing.
WHAT SHOULD I DO? ANY SECRETS FOR MAKING A PAPERWEIGHT BIRDIE WELL?
And am I the only one who gives gatorade?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've had chickens for almost 8 years, but have no vet training or anything, so I hope someones with more knowledge comes along. But until then, getting her to eat is #1. Wet catfood, or dried catfood soaked in hot water until it softens is good for stimulating appitite as is raw egg, they seem to know instinctively to clean it up.

But the first thing I would do is return her to the flock. I know it's weird and counter intuitive but when you seperate an individual rom the flock they tend to give up. If your flock is too aggressive, you can put a gentle hen with her to give her some companionship.

Again, all I have is my own experience but it has worked for me. I hope your girl recovers.

The breeder hasnt had any sick birds in a very long time. We have no idea why theyre sneezing.
And I just got home from work, and stopped at walmart on my way home. Figured Dahlia could use some pedialite....Walked in my room to find her lying there dead in the cage. So I GUESS ITS A LOST CAUSE.
hit.gif
:hit:hit:hit

Future note... The terramyacin along with Sulmet might have worked.. I didnt see this in time... Cocci and a respiratory to follow..Not terribly uncommon when changing from one piece of land to another.

Back
Top Bottom