Help please - Sick turkey poult and chick - housed together

Give them sugar water or electrolytes. You can make electrolytes with common house hold items. I would give electro lights to the whole flock but make sure to offer fresh water too. And give the sick ones some honey.

Give them sugar water or electrolytes. You can make electrolytes with common house hold items. I would give electro lights to the whole flock but make sure to offer fresh water too. And give the sick ones some honey.
I'm afraid the two pictured are going down fast. They will not take water (I added electrolytes and probiotics) or food. I tried a boiled egg yolk and starter crumbles and they are refusing everything. Can I just put some honey on the edge of the beaks or pry their mouths open a bit to put some in? I'm at a loss and concerned about my whole flock at this point. I just added ACV to the water for the rest of the flock.

I'm afraid the two pictured are going down fast. They will not take water (I added electrolytes and probiotics) or food. I tried a boiled egg yolk and starter crumbles and they are refusing everything. Can I just put some honey on the edge of the beaks or pry their mouths open a bit to put some in? I'm at a loss and concerned about my whole flock at this point. I just added ACV to the water for the rest of the flock.
Do not give them ACV. It is harmful in high temperatures. Brooder temperatures are high temperatures.

Do not give them ACV. It is harmful in high temperatures. Brooder temperatures are high temperatures.
The insert from the hatchery recommended ACV at a rate of 1/3 cup per quart. I just purged that from their water stations - thanks for letting me know.

Given the leg color of the poult they are severely dehydrated. Get a small syringe and give them a few drops of water by holding the beak open and dropping on the tongue. If you have a penicillin based antibiotic injectable or water based give a few drops the same way as they probably have a naval infection caused by bacteria that entered through the naval during the sealing process. Give one drop of antibiotic twice per day for seven days and give water by syringe several times per day to keep the birds hydrated. Put sugar in the water to give them some quick energy then make a slurry out of starter, sugar and water, draw this in your syringe and give four or five times per day until they begin to eat on their own. I hope you have caught this early enough to save the little fellows.

Blessings,

Bo

Given the leg color of the poult they are severely dehydrated. Get a small syringe and give them a few drops of water by holding the beak open and dropping on the tongue. If you have a penicillin based antibiotic injectable or water based give a few drops the same way as they probably have a naval infection caused by bacteria that entered through the naval during the sealing process. Give one drop of antibiotic twice per day for seven days and give water by syringe several times per day to keep the birds hydrated. Put sugar in the water to give them some quick energy then make a slurry out of starter, sugar and water, draw this in your syringe and give four or five times per day until they begin to eat on their own. I hope you have caught this early enough to save the little fellows.

Blessings,

Bo
Thank you! I lost that one little poult during the night. The chick is still hanging in there after the honey, but isn't doing great yet. I have one more little poult that's following the same pattern today. I don't have any antibiotics, but I did get some sand as suggested and game bird starter today. I added sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics to water and I'll work on the syringe set up you suggested. Thank you so much for the great information!

Back
Top Bottom