Muscovy ducks and Turkeys together?

Karlkoe

Chirping
Aug 2, 2023
I recently adopted two muscovy ducks and love them. A little tacky but Donald and Daisy are there names. I have them in an enclosed area and am incubating and plan to hatch 5 new ducklings soon. The space is about 400 square feet, so plenty of room.

My question is would there be issues getting turkeys and keeping them in the same area and having all flock feed. Then, giving them separate places to sleep?

Not finding much info about keeping Muscovy's (specifically) and Turkeys together. Thank you in advanced!

I recently adopted two muscovy ducks and love them. A little tacky but Donald and Daisy are there names. I have them in an enclosed area and am incubating and plan to hatch 5 new ducklings soon. The space is about 400 square feet, so plenty of room.

My question is would there be issues getting turkeys and keeping them in the same area and having all flock feed. Then, giving them separate places to sleep?

Not finding much info about keeping Muscovy's (specifically) and Turkeys together. Thank you in advanced!
@casportpony has Muscovies and turkeys.

400 sq. ft. (20'x20') really is not a very big area if you want to add turkeys in there too. I wouldn't.

How’s it going @Karlkoe ? I have heritage turkeys, Cayuga ducks and Pilgrim geese. They free range all day and only are in a barn at night. The turkeys roost (high up compared to chickens-my turks prefer on top of the stalls or the wall ledges, using the perch logs I put in there as boosts if they’re heavy). The rest sleep on the floor.
It’s hard but not impossible to manage enough space, making sure there are small hideaway spaces (pallet leaned against wall) and enough food/water dishes. The geese and ducks are bullies and like to chase anyway, plus they make a mess whereas turkeys are very tidy. Also, nesting/hatching areas have to be managed, since these birds all deposit eggs for awhile before sitting, if you let them. You have to let the ladies feel safe and limit the male’s access to sitting females. Then an area safe for littles and their mom where they can be incorporated into the flock eventually.
If that’s your plan, anyway. There are a lot of layers there if you only want eggs, etc.
What is your goal with your flock?

@Bolfreak This is so helpful!

I am looking at raising a few turkeys for thanksgiving, and going to raise a flock of Muschovy's for meat as well. I have my chickens and Quail for eggs, but looking to have turkeys and muschovys share some space. Looking to have just 3-6 ducks and 2-3 turkeys share the same space and mainly curious if there are food that can be used for both of them. Looking at using Meat or game bird raisers. I will have them be separate during their young stages but looking to finish them together.

I am looking at raising a few turkeys for thanksgiving, and going to raise a flock of Muschovy's for meat as well. I have my chickens and Quail for eggs, but looking to have turkeys and muschovys share some space. Looking to have just 3-6 ducks and 2-3 turkeys share the same space and mainly curious if there are food that can be used for both of them. Looking at using Meat or game bird raisers. I will have them be separate during their young stages but looking to finish them together.
The problem I see is that unless you have increased the size of the area you plan to keep them in, it isn't enough room for both. It's barely enough room for turkeys by themselves.

Last edited:

I feed Kalmbach flock maker (high protein and niacin, normal amounts calcium if you have males, oyster shell on the side for laying girls). I keep the oyster shell near water to help the ducks swallow it.
And scratch that’s corn based. I like Kruse’s super 9 because the leftovers sprout edible plants when they get swept outside 😆 I’ve had some huge sunflower volunteers!

The turkeys will roost and ducks on the ground, but… if you’re raising Broad Breasted anything, they will be too heavy to roost. My heritage Royal Palm is over 20 lbs and he struggles to fly up to the lowest roost sometimes like when he’s molting. The others and hens fly from the floor to the stall tops.
Ducks are SO messy, I feed and water them away from sleeping areas or they make mud and mold, bad for them, worse for turkeys. I have buckets I only fill 3/4 to keep clean water, the turkeys can drink from those, but ducks can’t get their bills in, they add dirt and food. Ducks will need their own low bucket that will be constantly dirty 😜

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom