Help, Please!

justanewb

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
I'm completely new to this, and honestly, I'm not even doing this as a hobby. I've gathered the info I could from the magical internet, but I still don't know quite a few things.
So first, I need some help with the lingo. Could someone explain what lockdown means?
Also, I have a mallard duck egg that I rescued. I took it from a nest about a week ago, after the mother ditched cause something took some of her eggs. It was outside alone with the other eggs , which were rotting, for about two days. It'd been there for about 3 weeks before, I think. Now I'm noticing some gray splotches on the shell and seeing veins when I candle it. What does this mean? The rest of the egg is black when candled. I don't know what's going on. Please help!!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with duck eggs, but there's really not much you can do. Incubate it if you want and see what happens. Either it'll hatch or it won't. If it doesn't, at least you tried.

I'm completely new to this, and honestly, I'm not even doing this as a hobby. I've gathered the info I could from the magical internet, but I still don't know quite a few things.
So first, I need some help with the lingo. Could someone explain what lockdown means?
Also, I have a mallard duck egg that I rescued. I took it from a nest about a week ago, after the mother ditched cause something took some of her eggs. It was outside alone with the other eggs , which were rotting, for about two days. It'd been there for about 3 weeks before, I think. Now I'm noticing some gray splotches on the shell and seeing veins when I candle it. What does this mean? The rest of the egg is black when candled. I don't know what's going on. Please help!!
Lockdown is the last 3 days of incubation. During lockdown you don't turn the eggs and increase the humidity in the incubator, in preparation for the hatch. You also don't open in the incubator during this time, unless you have to.

I don't like the sound of those grey splotches. Can you post some pics of what you're seeing?

230_day_18_2_copy.jpg
This is exactly what it looks like. A good sign..?

The splotches are hard to see, but they're there. Sorry for the poor pictures.

From the looks of your candling pic, the chick seems to be developing fine. Also looks to be filling out the egg nicely. I believe it takes 28 days for ducks to hatch. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I've never hatched duck eggs) I'm not sure about the grey spots that you are seeing. Doesn't sound healthy, but all I can say is keep on with the incubation process as long as the egg doesn't start smelling rotten. Sumi explained the lockdown term perfectly!

Back
Top Bottom