help please

Sharing this since I'm no expert:

Last edited:
That's fine to post I just need help it looks bad I put it back in the incubator it still has yolk and breathing no peeping

That's fine to post I just need help it looks bad I put it back in the incubator it still has yolk and breathing no peeping

Hi there, try not to panic :hugs if you can see yolk it's not ready to hatch. It needs more time to absorb it and the vessels. If it's breathing it's fine to stay in the incubator with humidity up.
Can you post a bit more info - how long has it been externally pipped? Wher exactly has it pipped on the egg? Can you post a pic?

It piped from the side of the egg when I pulled just the shell back it had a small amount of blood I left it for two hours and then in covered it's beak and the air sac to see if it had blood there it did there is no blood on the ducklings and it's creeping now after I discovered the yolk and put it back in the incubator but the towel I wrapped it in seams to have more blood on it and it day 32 and the lady I got the eggs from said she didn't have mascovys

Is the pip on the side of the egg nearer the air cell end of the egg or the pointy end of the egg? Blood and yolk mean it needs more time. Upto 12 hours from external pip to maybe assisting it. Right now I would leave it to continue absorbing that yolk and blood.

It piped at side I shelled it half way when I saw the yolk I wrapped it in a towel and put it back in shell now the edges of the shell seams to have more blood know I worried it's bleeding to death

If it's nearer to the air cell it could be a completely normal pip hole. Sometimes the air cells grow down the side of the egg slighly. They do pip slightly on the side to be able to create a cap of the top of the egg to push of when they zip.
The only thing you can do now is leave it be getting it out of the shell now would do more harm than good. It has a better chance of survival being left in incubator. I'm afraid your going to have to be patient and leave it be. Good luck :fl I hope it makes it.

I know this is a chicken egg but i don't have duck egg pics. The dark egg at the front has pipped on the right hand side it. The pip is quite far down the egg. The pip hole was like that for about 8-10 before it started zipping and then hatched ok. It's the same principle for duck eggs.

Last edited:
Yorkshire Coop gave you good advice. Keep the little one wrapped in a damp towel, but make sure you leave it's beak uncovered, so it can breathe and just leave it. Don't fiddle with the shell or anything. It it bleeds more, dab a little cold water on the area, I found that helps stop minor bleeding. And just give the little one time now. I've had a duckling (Pekin) take 4 days to hatch from external pip once, so don't rush it. Ducklings can take 2-3 days to hatch normally. It needs up to 24 hours to absorb all the yolk and it sounds your duckling still has some way to go, so all you need to do now is keep it damp and make sure it can breathe in there.

Back
Top Bottom