HELP! Quail with growth around eye. what is it?

I acquired the flock with their cage and didn't notice the eye problem. Didn't add any new birds to them.

Since there is no respiratory ailments present, the only other thing I can think of that might cause swollen eye lids alone, is Ammonia Toxicity. Ammonia gas is extremely irritating to the membranes that line the eyelids, eyes, sinuses and trachea. Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the conjunctiva (membranes that line the eyelids) and the exposed sclera (white part of the eye). Affected birds have reddened, swollen eyelids, and are sensitive to and avoid light. If high ammonia levels persist, the cornea, the outermost part of the front of the eyeball, becomes ulcerated and blindness may occur.

Generally this occurs more in areas where there is not good ventilation, looking at your pic of the pen set up and it looks like there is a lot of droppings beneath the cage? If that area is deep and building up, this could cause the ammonia to rise and irritate the membranes. Even build up on the wire or dusting pan is enough to cause irritation. When you can smell your birds near the pen, you have too much ammonia building up.

This could be some sort of eye infection, however usually the pupils get cloudy. Sinus infections usually cause the entire face to swell. Not just eye lids.

Dry pox will cause wart like growths on the skin areas around the head, vent, and legs. Generally they heal over within 2 weeks. (This is not wart like on this eye lid.) Wet pox causes lesions inside the mouth, larynx and treachea of the bird causing difficulty in breathing. Both of these pox types are spread by mosquitoes. The dry form will heal on it's own as along as your birds are healthy. The wet version is much more difficult to recover from.

I talked to the previous owner. They didn't know of the issue? I sent pictures and they had a friend who helps them on occasion with fowl and mentioned yeast infection. What do you think it is? How should I treat it?

I talked to the previous owner. They didn't know of the issue? I sent pictures and they had a friend who helps them on occasion with fowl and mentioned yeast infection. What do you think it is? How should I treat it?
Many fungal/yeast and even bacterial infections are passed from bird to bird through contact. Water dishes, feed dishes, feces, cramped quarters, etc...contribute to any infections in the body.

Since we are not sure exactly what this or others have, the first thing I personally would do is begin with some serious cleaning. Scrub everything down thoroughly. Clean up all feces beneath the pens. Scrub all food and water dishes with a bleach/vinegar/water solution. Then give them more room 2 square feet per bird. Keep your pens extremely clean at all times. Cleanliness is the key to good health in all poultry. You wouldn't want to drink out of the same glass as 10 other people every day that was not cleaned on a daily basis.

I don't think there are meds that will help this. I would approach this holistically with some Apple Cider Vinegar in the water, 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. You MUST change this out and make a new batch daily. I would also alternate this with Probiotics in the water. This also will need be changed and made fresh daily. Probiotics will help to boost the immune system. I would offer chopped greens and veggies each day as well. The veggies and the ACV will help to raise the PH in the body to help fight off yeasts and bacterias.

I'm not sure how it will work in quail but for a goat I had that had pink eye I washed her eye with no more tears a few times a day. She loved seeing me come with the soap. So it most have really felt good. It only took about 3 days to clear if I remember right.

Keep in mind that they had eye problem before. I recently implemented chicken nipples for them and added a new feed bucket. I'm going to try cleaning their cage and add the vinegar to their water hope it helps. Their cage has only been here for now 5 days. Poo dropping where they are is not the current cause. They had the condition before I got them.

I think I got it figured out. I believe they had mites. I began with scrubbing cage and dusting all the birds. Thnx for the info. I'll keep yall up to due 8f this helps.

Back
Top Bottom