Help!! Quail with tumour?

darc20272

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2023
Hi i have a coturnix quail and i have noticed that she has a massive lump on her abdomen, at first i thought nothing much of it but lately she has been starting to make huffing noises when she breathes and sneezes often, when i look at her i can see that her breathing looks really heavy like she is struggling,
shes 2 and a half years old and hasn't laid for a year now.
The lump on her feels rather hard and when she walks i can see that it troubles her because she walks funny, inside the lump i can feel what feels like a bone but im assuming that it isn't since she hasn't ever injured herself. She cannot sleep properly and because of the struggle to breathe she is often panting too, im certain she wont make it much longer but could someone tell me what this could be? 🙁

Disclaimer - I am not a vet, I just read a lot

Since it's hard, it does sound like a tumour. She is on the old side for a coturnix quail, so it could just be that she's at an age where things go wrong.

Can you post pics? That would help. If you upload a video to YouTube and post the link here, we can also see how she's moving.

Is she eating and drinking?
What does her poop look like?
What are you feeding her?
What is her home like?

Disclaimer - I am not a vet, I just read a lot

Since it's hard, it does sound like a tumour. She is on the old side for a coturnix quail, so it could just be that she's at an age where things go wrong.

Can you post pics? That would help. If you upload a video to YouTube and post the link here, we can also see how she's moving.

Is she eating and drinking?
What does her poop look like?
What are you feeding her?
What is her home like?
Yes shes been eating and drinking fine never had any problems, her poop is normal and she eats quail layer pellets, lettuce and mealworms and lives in my shed outside with lots of lighting during the day and not too cold either in winter.

Yes shes been eating and drinking fine never had any problems, her poop is normal and she eats quail layer pellets, lettuce and mealworms and lives in my shed outside with lots of lighting during the day and not too cold either in winter.
I will try and take a photo of the bump tomorrow i am inside at the moment and i don’t want to disturb her sleeping🙂 its hard to pick her up without her loosing all her breath so i want to be careful with her. It doesnt seem like it hurts her when i touch it and sometimes after putting her down she will wobble at little🙁

I can't really tell anything from the picture. Is a vet an option? If not, I think your options are to either keep her as comfortable as you an until the end, or end her suffering.

If she's struggling to breathe, it's definitely not good.

Without knowing what it is, it's impossible to say. My guess would be days or weeks because she's having trouble breathing. It sounds like her quality of life isn't great.
How?! i literally spoil her to death..???
Tell me how her ‘quality of life’ is bad then.

You said she has trouble breathing. Imagine how uncomfortable that would be. I know I'm miserable when I can't breather properly. It sounds like you treat her very well. It also sounds like her health is failing.

You said she has trouble breathing. Imagine how uncomfortable that would be. I know I'm miserable when I can't breather properly. It sounds like you treat her very well. It also sounds like her health is failing.
Yes i know but thats not my fault, She lives a good life. Also she is very old now so im not surprised. Could it be possible that it’s passed on from her parents? I have another quail that i bought from someone (which is her sister i bought them together) and im thinking she might be getting the same thing too? I have 11 and these are the only two that i think have the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom