Help!!!! Rooster Attacked and is covered in maggots

annetteu

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
Greenwood
My rooster was attacked by something. We found him in the yard bleeding and covered in maggots. I tried washing him off but it didn't help. What can I do to save him,There are no vets in my area that treat poultry. Please help he is not just a ro but also a family pet.

You need to bring him inside. Wash him in warm soapy water...rinse well. Then you will need to pick the maggots off with tweezers one at a time until they are all gone. It takes several days for maggots to hatch...how long has he been injured?

I would then put a thick layer of neosporin over the injured areas. You are going to have to keep him inside in a safe, quiet, darkened place for him to heal and to keep the flies away from him. You will have to check the area often to see if more maggots hatch. You may even want to put him on some antibiotics. Tylan 50 can be found at Tractor Supply. It is an injectable medication but, you do not need to inject it for it to be effective. I just use a needle and syringe, draw up the correct dosage, .5mls for large fowl and .25 mls for bantam, and squirt it on bread. They munch it right down. You will need to dose for 5 days.

Good luck and keep us posted on his recovery :)

I would cut the feathers around the wounds...soak him in warm water with peroxide...use rubber gloves pull the maggots off with tweezers. repeat water mixture-tweezers till they are all off. Use Blue Kote to cover the wounds or a antibiotic ointment. Keep him warm and inside till he starts to heal. I don't know if this is right all I'm telling you is this is what I would do.

When my Rooster had fly strike (maggots) I washed as many of the maggots off as I could with water, then I got peroxide and soaked the area with it. Rinsed and soaked... I was picking them off with tweezers too but there were so many that I finally got impatient and got some spray that kills maggots from a friend of mine and sprayed him down. you can get the spray from tractor supply. unfortunately I can't remember the name of it but ask and they should be able to tell you.

once all the maggots were dead I picked them off. I Cut the feathers away and got non stick pads, Neosporin and Vet tape and dressed the wound. you want to make sure that you cover and wrap the area don't let it dry out. I have been doing this with my rooster for the last two weeks and have changed the dressing every 4 days. and I have seen considerable improvement.

**if you can't get the spray..Peroxide will kill maggots.. me I was in a panic and was not trying to spend time fighting with the things.

I have my Rooster in the garage in an extra large dog carrier.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
With my exp, peroxide didn't help. The spary you were talking about is screw worm spray. If you have a hose, do a light squirt to get a good portion of the maggots out and spray 'im down with that stuff. Then do a bathe to get the dead ones out and spary some more on to kill any stragglers and repeat.

What I know of fly strike is that you have to act FAST to get those maggots off there as soon as possible. The maggots emit a toxin as they feed on the host's tissue. That toxin can poison and kill the animal in a couple of days.

That's really good info to know! My poor hen had the maggots on for too long, she died, even though she was starting to heal.

Yes, unfortunately I learned this the hard way because I had an old pet rabbit die of fly strike. With this miserable hot summer, I have been diligently checking the chicken butts every day!

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help. The vet said he was to far gone and I had to have him put down. This has been so hard I keep telling myself he was just a rooster, but my heart tells me he was Coach my big beautiful Buff Cochin. He will missed

With my exp, peroxide didn't help. The spary you were talking about is screw worm spray. If you have a hose, do a light squirt to get a good portion of the maggots out and spray 'im down with that stuff. Then do a bathe to get the dead ones out and spary some more on to kill any stragglers and repeat.

JUST found a cockbird wedged between a nesting ox and the wall. No idea how or what happened, but he had a huge hole on his back, could barely walk :( I pulled him out, doused with DE.That was about 6 hours ago, just checked him, wound is dry and not one maggot that I can see

Back
Top Bottom