Help!!!! Runner duckling

RunGuy77

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
Staffordshire uk
Help. I checked on my ducklings around 1.5 hours ago and all was fine. I have now just found one outside the house lying on the floor not moving. It looks very weak and can Bearley move it's head around. I have brought it in, but what's the best way to help it.

Attachments

• 20170702_150313.jpg
    20170702_150313.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi. No lamp. Mom is doing all the work herself. 8 other ducklings still inside with mom and are 100% normal. Today is at least day 3 and as of yet she has not taken them to water although there is water avaliable for them. Found this little guy slightly pushed under the door ramp, perhaps by the adults trying to get it back in.
This guy kept shutting his eyes and going quite but then raises his head and cheep for a few seconds. Keeping him warm at the moment and trying water on a cotton bud.

Agreed it is probably cold. Keep working to warm it up. Don't push liquids until then. This little one may have just gotten out from under mama and not know how to get back. Cold is deadly at this age. I would try to help him recover and if he does better would tuck him back under mama during the night. Cold equals exhausted, will just fall asleep and die.

Hi.
Thank you for your replys, but Unfortunately it was just too late for this little guy as he just stopped breathing. The rest are free range with a indoor nest box. Weather here at the moment is good with warm mid 20c days.
I have got some chick crumb from the local food store.
Can't see any phisical damage.
Is there anything else I can do to protect the rest of the birds?

Sorry for your loss. :( Nature can be quite brutal. I think it was a fluke.. At least with the info given, doesn't seem like something you did wrong. Sometimes I do put up a barrier so the chicks can't get to far away from mama. But there is no 100% guarantee. When I have babes being brooded by mama's, I always go out early in the morning, several times during the day, and once shortly after dark to make sure everyone is tucked in nicely. Things just happen so easy.

Is your chick feed unmedicated? For ducklings it MUST be unmedicated. :)

Back
Top Bottom