Help.... Runt? Dwarfism? Failure to Thrive?

UPDATE: Our little Midge is still with us at 18.5 weeks. She is still small and hasn't shown any signs of growing. We integrated her and her sisters with the flock. She uses her sisters as a shield. It's quite funny. The older flock so far hasn't been to bad with her. She can not perch even on the 16" high bar. We put 2 small wood cubbies only she can fit in. That is where she goes at night. It is located at the ends of the perch bar so her sisters are close. She has trouble with the ramps but finds her way in and out. Today she ventured out free ranging with the flock. It was soooo cute. I do t know how long she will be with us. We will miss her when she is gone.

Attachments

• 20221106_150943.jpg
    20221106_150943.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 6
  • VideoCapture_20221106-150608.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221106-150608.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 7
I think it’s wonderful you gave her a chance at a normal life with the flock. I hope she continues to figure out the chicken world in her own ways.

I think it’s wonderful you gave her a chance at a normal life with the flock. I hope she continues to figure out the chicken world in her own ways.
That's what we are hoping for as well. Twice we considered bringing her up to the house and segregating her but she is happy and that makes it worth it.

She’s cute :) here is mine.. same thing, always been small and grows slow.. but she’s healthy happy and does everything her friends do . Blueberry is the same age as the other two. They keep her warm and are amazing companions. They are all about 14 weeks now. I hope they both have longer than we think 💕💕

Attachments

• 77B0F885-81AB-4C98-9476-C4EE33244684.jpeg
    77B0F885-81AB-4C98-9476-C4EE33244684.jpeg
    752.8 KB · Views: 6
She’s cute :) here is mine.. same thing, always been small and grows slow.. but she’s healthy happy and does everything her friends do . Blueberry is the same age as the other two. They keep her warm and are amazing companions. They are all about 14 weeks now. I hope they both have longer than we think 💕💕
I love yours. I wish we could put out 2 little girls together to live. Do you think she is a bantam or has dwarfism?

My rooster walks like your little chicken, lol. Except he lounges around after eating and doesn't crow. His dad just ignores him, I think the dad knows he's crippled or something is off with him. He sleeps with his sisters and is the bottom of the pecking order.

This picture is 2 months old.
20220820_184044.jpg

I love yours. I wish we could put out 2 little girls together to live. Do you think she is a bantam or has dwarfism?
They would be adorable together! I honestly am not sure, I do have one smaller chicken, so possibly has bantam genes.. but I’m not really sure whose egg she was! She’s adorable, and either way I love her and she has a happy life. I too thought of bringing her in, but she is happy foraging with her two friends, and roosting at night. So I’ll let her be

My rooster walks like your little chicken, lol. Except he lounges around after eating and doesn't crow. His dad just ignores him, I think the dad knows he's crippled or something is off with him. He sleeps with his sisters and is the bottom of the pecking order.

This picture is 2 months old. View attachment 3315279
He is such a pretty Roo. His stature is very similar to little Midge.
They would be adorable together! I honestly am not sure, I do have one smaller chicken, so possibly has bantam genes.. but I’m not really sure whose egg she was! She’s adorable, and either way I love her and she has a happy life. I too thought of bringing her in, but she is happy foraging with her two friends, and roosting at night. So I’ll let her be
I think it's a great sign she is able to roost at night. Midge can't jump up anymore.

Back
Top Bottom