Help save this sweet cochin pullet. Filled out the form and added pics

Well we found out what's wrong, my 5 year old said that at the show she was "helping her lern how to fly like the other chickens" by throwing her up in the air.
roll.png
So we are thinking she may has some spine issue. When I take her out to wash her she moves her legs like she is swimming but that's it. She eats, drinks, poops but just can't walk. I am thinking about culling, I just don't know.

Quote:
That would explain it, all right.

It's been about two weeks since this started. Is there any sign of improvement? Is the leg movement new? If there's not, then it probably is a spinal issue and the most humane thing to do would be to cull her.

Quote:
That would explain it, all right.

It's been about two weeks since this started. Is there any sign of improvement? Is the leg movement new? If there's not, then it probably is a spinal issue and the most humane thing to do would be to cull her.

Yes I know. She is not getting better but I'm not sure how to cull her. You see my kids are too young to understand culling. I have to make it look like she just died. Not sure how to do that.

its none of my business but it sounds like a perfect teaching experience about cause and effect. So sad someone at the show did not stop your daughter from throwing the poor hen around, might have prevented her suffering such a horrible injury. Letting her know that she caused this by her actions will help prevent her from being cruel in the future.

Quote:
Oh believe me she knows. I doubt she will ever do that again since this was the only bird she ever loved. I never saw her do that and I had my eyes on her the entire time so I don't know exactly where I was when it happend. I told her (and have been telling her) that she probably killed sweetheart. She is not allowed to play with the chickens unsupervised any longer. I'm ticked because this was such a special bird. I'm going to have my husband cull her tonight when he gets home.
sad.png

I understand why you wouldn't want your daughter to be aware of what's going on in this circumstance because she caused the pullet's injury, but my kids are 10 and 12 and have understood for years that culling is a humane thing to do in some circumstances and one of the responsibilities of animal owners.

It's a heartbreaking situation. I'm sorry.
sad.png

Quote:
Oh believe me she knows. I doubt she will ever do that again since this was the only bird she ever loved. I never saw her do that and I had my eyes on her the entire time so I don't know exactly where I was when it happend. I told her (and have been telling her) that she probably killed sweetheart. She is not allowed to play with the chickens unsupervised any longer. I'm ticked because this was such a special bird. I'm going to have my husband cull her tonight when he gets home.
sad.png

It is so hard when we get attached, lost a special hen recently, not fun. Hard lesson to learn.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I know! All 3 were our special pets. Dh culled sweetheart 2 days ago since she did not get any better. Abby sure learned her lesson on NEVER to teach chickens how to fly. They say bad things happen in 3's so I hope we are done for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom