Help Sexing Ameraucanas

Azure Acres

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 10, 2014
NW Missouri
We have 4 Ameraucana chicks that will be 5 weeks old on Fri/Sat. I know it is still a little early, but any guesses on gender? These came out of some B/B/S eggs.

These are the largest and darkest two.

This is the lightest and one of the smallest two.

The smallest

The smallest two-tails side by side
J

Smallest in the middle with others on the outside

All 4

2 biggest in back and 2 smallest in front

their feathering sure looks female from the top. the one face pic you posted looks female too, no pink in the comb and no visible wattles!

3 of them have very similar sized tail feathers, but that one has much smaller tail feathers. They are shorter. Think there is any significance? That one is also the most standoffish.

I usually start seeing rooster shaped feathers around 8 weeks, I don't know that you would be able to tell on feathering at this age.

Boys will get triangle-tipped feathers, girls have rounded feathers. The triangle tipped feathers grow from their neck (hackle) and back (saddle). When they come in, you can sometimes lift up a wing and see the pointy saddle feathers on their back/side under the wing.

In my experience, females are more cautious and untrusting and males are more bold, hoping onto my arm/shoulder right out of the brooder. every chick is different though
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom