Sexing almost-five-week-old muscovies

MS_pond

Chirping
Dec 7, 2023
Hi, would any of you muscovites like to take a stab at sexing my almost-five-week-old muscovies? There are eight, numbered in this video here. #2 and #4 (Mohawk and Tiny, lol) are smaller, while the rest are about the same size.

Interestingly, the very biggest one (#5) is farthest along in feathering. All over his body except for on the last "digit" of the wings. Is that actually what people are referring to when they say females feather out quicker? Is that just in regards to the wingtips? Because if so then the smallest two--who although are feathered a bit less throughout their bodies are feathered more on the wingtips--standing with legs/feet closer together, are clearly girls, right?

I have my suspicions, but please tell me I'm wrong... please tell me I don't have six boys and two girls... 😭

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Another video. The one you can barely see zooming out at the beginning is one of the almost-certainly girls.

My girl was a lot smaller than my drake and had smaller feet and thinner legs. I could not tell anything by the wings or feathering out other than that. Then she let out the sweet trill that the girls do and he started to hiss. The hiss only came from my male, never any females that I have had. They sure are beautiful!!!

My girl was a lot smaller than my drake and had smaller feet and thinner legs. I could not tell anything by the wings or feathering out other than that. Then she let out the sweet trill that the girls do and he started to hiss. The hiss only came from my male, never any females that I have had. They sure are beautiful!!!
That is reassuring, thank you. It does seem that most of the "foolproof" sexing tells I'm finding online are not totally reliable. It's been a couple weeks since I made this thread and I'm still pretty sure I have two girls and six boys.

More pics because they are indeed beautiful :) I will be so sad to let my boys go. If I can't find them a home I will process them myself...

Attachments

• 20240428_104704.jpg
    20240428_104704.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240428_104718.jpg
    20240428_104718.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 2
That is reassuring, thank you. It does seem that most of the "foolproof" sexing tells I'm finding online are not totally reliable. It's been a couple weeks since I made this thread and I'm still pretty sure I have two girls and six boys.

More pics because they are indeed beautiful :) I will be so sad to let my boys go. If I can't find them a home I will process them myself...
You are most welcome and I totally understand about being sad to let your boys go. I have had a lot more drakes hatch out than hens and it is always sad to see them go down the road. I have never had much luck getting all Hens and usually end up with either one of each if I buy in pairs from the feed store or all drakes if I let them hatch out. They are really pretty ducks.

Back
Top Bottom