Question about ratios with muscovies/non-muscovies

MS_pond

Chirping
Dec 7, 2023
Hi, I appreciate all the help I've gotten from this wonderful forum. I'm back with another question.

So my ducks are five weeks old and I'm about 95% sure that out of eight muscovies, six of them are drakes 😭 So after I somehow rehome five of the boys, that leaves me with one muscovy drake, two muscovy hens, and three non-muscovy duck hens.

My question is, do I need more muscovy girls to even things out or will the drake have his attention spread to the non-muscovy girls? Is it likely he'll only be interested in the muscovies? They are all being raised together.

I know nobody can say for certain, but if we likely need to get more, then the sooner the better for our situation, hence why I'm asking here.

Thank you! Duck tax included.

Attachments

• 20240415_151607.jpg
    20240415_151607.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240415_151553.jpg
    20240415_151553.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 7
Hmph. Your luck in gender ratio is about the same as mine. Out of my last hatch of seven, five ended up male! :barnie

My Muscovy drakes aren't much interested in my domestics. That's not to say yours won't be. They can and do interbreed. Mine don't seem to have had the desire to cross the species boundary. In fact, it's my domestic drakes I see attempting to breed a willing Muscovy hen rather than the other way around. There's no harm in letting them breed. You will just end up with mules--sterile hybrids.

I think since they're being raised together it ups the odds your drake will be interested in the non muscovy girls. One of my previous drakes was raised with geese as well as other muscovies, and he grew up to be just as interested mounting geese as ducks. I haven't had that happen with the drake who was only raised with other muscovies.

My Muscovy Drake was interested in everything in the duck pen. That was how I got my Mules. He was not raised with any of them as a duckling but once mature he loved all the girls. My Mallard drake is now mating my Muscovy Hens along with everyone else in the pen. If my Muscovy Hen would hatch out babies they would become Hinnies if they were female. They would be able to lay eggs but not any fertile ones. My Mule Hen does not lay eggs. She is just a big huge pet almost the size of a goose that is so friendly that she earns her keep by being so sweet.

Back
Top Bottom