help sexing my 6 week old old

edmick

Chirping
Feb 10, 2016
southern california
I'm seeing some early wattle development in one of my white plymouth rocks. Any idea based on these pictures if its male or female?
[/IMG]

We might be able to be more help if you could provide a head and full body shot of the chick. I have no idea what I'm looking at there, besides the fact that its a poop chute :oops:

Hi I warn that by no means I'm a expert, in fact I only know what I've read so I will share that with you in hope it helps you out. when they vent sex hatchlings they are looking for a small "pimple". if the small "pimple" is seen the bird is a cockeral. if no small "pimple" is seen its a pullet. Now what I'm not sure of is if this method works for older chicks as well? More research is needed to answer that question. But on hatchlings that's what they are looking for. I sure wish I could be of more help. I've read vent sexing is a art and quite hard. That's all I really know about it. I wish I knew more. I hope in some way this helps you out. Best of luck! Hopefully someone can tell you for sure.

I read the males have a round center "bead" females have a concave "bead" if that helps any. just found that Info.myself by searching. Hope it helps you out.

That one’s a challenge, could go either way. The comb and wattles look pink, what there is, so that looks female. The legs look a bit heavier than I’d like but they don’t look very long. The posture does not scream male. I’d give it 60% male – 40% female just on my gut feeling but that one is tough to call.

Agreed, that is a tough one. I don't see anything that screams male, and Rocks normally have a good sized set of combs and wattles at this point if they're a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom