Help she's sitting on eggs

wetzelbuilt

Songster
Feb 9, 2017
Northwest Ohio
We got a rooster about 2 months ago and now I have one of my older chickens sitting on a nest of eggs. My question is is it safe for her to be in the coop with the other chickens and the rooster? Should I remove her from The Coop with her nest? This is a whole new experience for us as we've always bought our baby chicks. To be honest I'm very excited that she's sitting but I want to keep her safe

As long as the other hens aren't getting in her nest, breaking her eggs, or stressing her out, I'd leave her be. Moving a broody can be a big job. Just keep an eye on her :)

Moving a broody hen and her nest can be tricky, but if you don't want your other hens and rooster to bother her, moving her is probably your best option. Your other option would be making a small pen of some kind right in the coop.

Sorry I forgot to say we are in Ohio and its getting below freezing some nights! Also the days are cold as well. Do I need to do anything for our sitting mom

I moved my broody, as the other chickens were pecking her and I know I have some bullies in the main flock. Plus, you want your nest to be as close to the ground as possible. Just hatched chickies can't climb up and down very well, so hard(er) to gain access to food. You can also close off the nest with food and water for mama and her chickies, where the chickies can't get out.

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving!

My broody's hatch and raise their chicks in the coop with all my other birds. I need to mark the eggs under her (very clearly and visibly) because other girls will sneak their eggs into her nest and they won't hatch on the same day. So every evening I make sure no new eggs are in the broody's nest.

When they are in a nest that seems a little higher than I prefer, I try to build a makeshift stairway.

Roosters have NEVER been a problem for me (they even call the chicks to treats!), and not usually hens. But very often teen age pullets are adamant about pecking on the littles. If I have one who is too aggressive on a regular basis to chicks, then she's got to go. Had one who created so much confusion she got mama pecking at anything and everything even her own chicks by accident.

They don't usually bring chicks out of the nest for the first couple days. When they are bringing them out I make a point to be out and observe flock dynamics. If another girl gives a peck to a chick that approaches no big deal. But if they relentlessly pursue.. :smack
Sometimes the pecking order of the broody will come into play. But broody's are viciously protective mums!

Hope you get some beautiful little fluffs. :fl :love

Sometimes you can successfully move a broody. Mine very often will ditch the nest where I moved it and go back to their original nest site. And have even had them pace like a broody breaker if I locked them into the new nest site, so still ditching the nest. Each bird will be different though...

Please note that your girl being broody has ZERO to do with you getting a rooster and she would sit just as much on infertile eggs. Many of my girls will even set in imaginary eggs! It's a hormone thing. :he

I block off the nest my broodies pick, I have had bad luck moving them.... The one that hatched a brood a couple of weeks ago was in a nest 3 ft up. She jumped down into the deep litter and several followed her, no injuries. I was there and helped a couple, but another was frightened of me and ran out into air and fell.. he was ok too. Next time I am not going to help :oops:

Back
Top Bottom