Help sick chicken

Kiriamd

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2021
Hello guys maybe you guys can help, I lost a chicken about 3 weeks ago. I think she had parasite or coccidia, I treated them with panacur and corid separate and gave them probiotics and vitamins after the process. The chicken that dies looked horrible she became weaker and weaker I separated her but she passed. I’m a new chicken owner still learning how to de worm them, I keep my coop clean and do all that I can, but I feel I don’t know what to do now.

The issue is I have another hen sick, she is 3 years old, my favorite girl she is an Orpington.

Symptoms are
*Diarrhea
*Does not want to eat anything ! I mean nothing and she was always eating
*No drinking
*Weird coloring on legs ( like loosing color)
*Sits down and looks weak
*Not laying eggs for a while

I have some antibiotic called enrotex thinking it was a upper respiratory infection.
Corid about a 3 weeks ago.

What can she have ? Could it be cocci ! I’m lost and feel bad for her their no avian vets around me.

*****Should I treat her again with corid ??***

Corid is worth a shot. But this time give her the undiluted Corid drench. That would be about .5ml directly into her beak once a day for three days. If she has coccidiosis, this should cause an immediate change.

You need to syringe Corid water into her as well. Offer her foods like yogurt, egg, applesauce, cooked cereal, grated carrot. You need to keep her hydrated and her glucose up with special feedings.

You can give her the enrotex with the Corid. It's always a good idea since coccidiosis can cause serious inflammation of the intestines and infection often sets it and then kills the chicken. Here is the dosing info in case you need it:

Add one level teaspoon (5 grams) of Enrotex to one quart of clean drinking water OR mix one half level teaspoon (2.5 grams) of Enrotex to three teaspoons of clean drinking water and administer to the crop at a rate of one teaspoon (2.5 grams) per pound of bird's weight. Use as bird's only source of drinking water.

Corid is worth a shot. But this time give her the undiluted Corid drench. That would be about .5ml directly into her beak once a day for three days. If she has coccidiosis, this should cause an immediate change.

You need to syringe Corid water into her as well. Offer her foods like yogurt, egg, applesauce, cooked cereal, grated carrot. You need to keep her hydrated and her glucose up with special feedings.

You can give her the enrotex with the Corid. It's always a good idea since coccidiosis can cause serious inflammation of the intestines and infection often sets it and then kills the chicken. Here is the dosing info in case you need it:

Add one level teaspoon (5 grams) of Enrotex to one quart of clean drinking water OR mix one half level teaspoon (2.5 grams) of Enrotex to three teaspoons of clean drinking water and administer to the crop at a rate of one teaspoon (2.5 grams) per pound of bird's weight. Use as bird's only source of drinking water.
Thank you so much, I stared last night the corid I’m giving it to her by syringe she is not eating, I hate to force it but I want her to survive this. I will give her the enrotex at night and keep with the corid the amount you listed in the morning. I have been forcing food down her throat! Eggs and giving her water. I hope she makes it she is the sweetest girl. Thank you for your help! 🙏❤️

I wanted to ask another question since you seem to know so much. My chicken still looks unwell, she still
Has diarrhea (watery green) she is not 100 percent . She got a little better, but today was hunched over and not doing much. I did the 5 days force feeding corid, enrotex and food, now doing probiotic’s and vitamins… don’t know what else to do.. any advice will be appreciated thank you

I'm afraid that's all you can do except maybe continue with the antibiotic for a while longer in case necrotic enteritis is causing her lack of improvement.

Coccidia often inflame the intestines and it causes bacterial infection on top of the coccidiosis. The antibiotic cures the infection most of the time. But if the coccidia have managed to destroy a lot of intestinal tissue, there may not be enough intestine left to handle her digestion and nutrient absorption. She would die eventually from this. It's the biggest danger from coccidiosis.

I'm afraid that's all you can do except maybe continue with the antibiotic for a while longer in case necrotic enteritis is causing her lack of improvement.

Coccidia often inflame the intestines and it causes bacterial infection on top of the coccidiosis. The antibiotic cures the infection most of the time. But if the coccidia have managed to destroy a lot of intestinal tissue, there may not be enough intestine left to handle her digestion and nutrient absorption. She would die eventually from this. It's the biggest danger from coccidiosis.
I was afraid of that.. but she has not really improved, getting weaker. I will go to the feed store and buy a antibiotics for this infection and try it, this would be my last resort:( thank you 🙏

Back
Top Bottom