Help sick hen

Chickadee00

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
My hen seems strange, when I watched her this morning, she was standing puffed up, I was worried so I checked her mouth, smells normal, not sour, her poop hold looks normal too. Her poop was a bit strange kind of red, so I'm suspecting that was blood, anyone ever had a case like this? Pls help, vets open tomorrow but I'm so worried...

Attachments

• IMG_20220102_083158.jpg
    IMG_20220102_083158.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 9
How old is she and how long have you had her? Does she lay eggs? Can you post a picture of her poop? Blood in the poop can be a sign of possible coccidiosis or sometimes worms. Sometimes they can have normal intestinal shed, but if that is frequent, or if it is blood, I would get some Corid from your feed store, and start treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

How old is she and how long have you had her? Does she lay eggs? Can you post a picture of her poop? Blood in the poop can be a sign of possible coccidiosis or sometimes worms. Sometimes they can have normal intestinal shed, but if that is frequent, or if it is blood, I would get some Corid from your feed store, and start treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Thanks she's about a year, I've got her since September. She lays frequently. I took a pic of her poop after the bloody one, but I don't think this ones bloody, just not well digested. After that she pooped again and it looked normal. I gave her some dewormer today just in case. She ate and was active again after a while so it doesn't seem too bad, if it's worse tomorrow I'll take her to the vet

Attachments

• IMG_20220102_084127.jpg
    IMG_20220102_084127.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 3
Are the yellow bits in her dropping seeds or feed, or something else? How much fenbendazole did you give her? The dosage of the liquid goat wormer or horse paste is 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days. That will take care of most all worms except for tapeworms, a more rare worm.

They're seeds yes, and she ate some old noodles, I'm thinking she ate too much and couldn't digest properly. She seems normal today again, I'm still giving everyone the right dosage of dewormer in their drinking water, just to be safe

I would make sure that she has granite poultry grit available in a separate container for taking as needed. Check her crop in early morning to make sure that it is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom