Help! Silkie Roo with fungus AND wound

rabsabq

Songster
6 Years
Feb 25, 2017
New Mexico
Came back from a week vaca and discovered my Silkie roo (Moe) had not only developed some sort of fungus on his ear lobe, but also had his tail feathers plucked out and a somewhat scabbed over wound. I've given him a bath, Blue Koted the wound, and isolated him. This is my first time dealing with either and I'm at a loss.

We have another roo - Pete - who is the Alpha, and I suspect they got into it while I was gone. Poor Moe is a wreck. He's still crowing and strutting, but during his bath I noticed a LOT of his feathers have been plucked. He is isolated, but I don't have the means to do that long term.

Any thoughts on:
  1. The white fungus-like substance on his lobe
  2. Other things I need to do for his wound
  3. Any disease dangers to my other silkies and sexlinks
Any and all thoughts much appreciated!!

20170725_203026.jpg 20170725_203017.jpg

It's hard to see the wound well, but keep it cleaned of poop, apply the Blu Kote or triple antibiotic ointment. If he is outside, then watch for flies landing on the wound.

The earlobe, normal coloring - a white earlobe. I could be wrong, hopefully someone else will chime in.

FWIW - this is what fungus usually looks like https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-chicken-swollen-face.1182995/

Thank you for responding! Doing a little more research, since there are no local vets that work with "exotics" nearby. He's BK'd up th ewazoo (literally) and we're keeping a sharp eye out for flystrike.

Back
Top Bottom