Help! Silkie with white chunks in poo!

With all the information you have given, IMO it still sounds/looks like some type of infection. When chickens have an infection the "pus" is not generally watery, it is like a cheese consistency.
While antibiotics may help relieve symptoms, until you actually know what is the cause, then you would be treating in the dark.
I'm still racking my brain as to what else it could be....

If it is an infection I have no early idea what/where it could be either. As far as I can tell she's healthy and doing good...just the not solid poo and occasional chunks......I guess unless it gets more frequent all I can do is watch her.....I don't want to just give her meds without good reason you know? Thank you again and again for going over this with me!

Your Welcome.
I just wish I knew, or someone knew more about it.
I agree that given meds without a "good reason" can sometimes do more harm than good. Especially when it's such an unknown.
Just keep an eye on her, if she is eating/drinking and doing her normal thing then hopefully she will be fine for a long time
smile.png

Does she have access to grit?

Yes she does. It's chick grit. I have to sneak it in though cause she won't touch it otherwise. Just looks at me like I've lost it for trying to feed her what's basically rocks xD. Anytime the weathers good and she's goes outside, or gets anything other than her feed (which I was told didn't need it as it dissolves in water) I put a pinch or 2 of grit in her food. Not a whole bunch though as that would do more harm than good.

She's done it again... 2 in a 10 minute period. They're smaller this time though so maybe that's good...? The only thing I can think of is that I took her outside for the short period of nice weather we had day before yesterday....

I would have to agree with Wyorp Rock that she is passing lash eggs, which are solidified pus chunks as a result of inflammation of her oviduct. It's a condition called salpingitis. The pale yellow in her stool is probably egg yolk material or a bacterial infection of E.coli or other bacteria. You can try treating her with strong antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxacin) or similar to try and prolong her life. I would keep her comfy, spoil her, and enjoy her company. This unfortunately is very common in hens, and doesn't have a good outcome. Here is one more link to read: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...uctive_system/egg_peritonitis_in_poultry.html

I would have to agree with Wyorp Rock that she is passing  lash eggs, which are solidified pus chunks as a result of inflammation of her oviduct. It's a condition called salpingitis. The pale yellow in her stool is probably egg yolk material or a bacterial infection of E.coli or other bacteria. You can try treating her with strong antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxacin) or similar to try and prolong her life. I would keep her comfy, spoil her, and enjoy her company. This unfortunately is very common in hens, and doesn't have a good outcome. Here is one more link to read:  http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...uctive_system/egg_peritonitis_in_poultry.html

Actually the pale yellow is more the lighting in my grandmas house (everything kinda looks yellowish with that lamp...sorry) and my phone not liking said light, than anything else. It's not really that yellow. And the chunks are mixed IN WITH the poo that she poops out. I just got it out to see better. I don't know if that makes a difference??? We have decided that it must be an infection of some sort, but I'm praying it's not that one..... Since we don't really want to hit her system with a heavy antibiotic if we can help it, we've decided to try the herbal route first. There's a tea recipe that was put up on here that the person called 'infection fighter' that we thought to give a try (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729825/all-natural-herbal-remedies-and-recipes-for-chickens) That and I left the antibiotics I have at home in case something happened to my chickens back home while I'm gone..... My aunt who lives close here might have some though since she also has chickens so I'll ask just in case this gets worse... Thank you everyone for all help and advise ^_^

I would have to agree with Wyorp Rock that she is passing  lash eggs, which are solidified pus chunks as a result of inflammation of her oviduct. It's a condition called salpingitis. The pale yellow in her stool is probably egg yolk material or a bacterial infection of E.coli or other bacteria. You can try treating her with strong antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxacin) or similar to try and prolong her life. I would keep her comfy, spoil her, and enjoy her company. This unfortunately is very common in hens, and doesn't have a good outcome. Here is one more link to read:  http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...uctive_system/egg_peritonitis_in_poultry.html

Actually, the yellow is more from my grandmas lighting and my phone not liking it than anything else...sorry, I should have realized it would do that and mentioned it earlier. I don't know if this'll make a difference or not, but the chunks come out 'IN WITH' the poo she poops out...I had to fish them out to see them better (hence no poo with them in most pictures). We have decided though that it must be an infection of some sort, but I'm praying it's not salpingitis. We decided to try an herbal recipe we found on here that the person who put it up called 'infection fighter' (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729825/all-natural-herbal-remedies-and-recipes-for-chickens) because we'd rather not hit her system with a heavy antibiotic if we can help it. That and I left the antibiotics I had for my chickens at home in case anything happened to my others while I'm gone. My aunt who lives close up here might have some though as she also has chickens so I'll ask her, that way I know we'll have it if we need it.

Ok well since she pooed shortly after I did the last one I thought I'd just put that up too. I took two of it, with the first one my phone normal settings and the other a little more what it should be. It's a bit more gooey than it has been, and has about average amount of poo than what it has been lately but not as bad as others. She was doing much better than this before, but since the last set of mystery chunks it's not as good.... Sometimes there's not even any brown now....I just don't even know anymore......

Back
Top Bottom