Help! Slipped Tendon?

119bowhunter

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2016
I have a chick that will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and I believe it has a slipped tendon, about 5 or 6 days ago it started limping and I thought maybe one of the other chicks had jumped on it but it never seemed to get any better, I got on here tonight and after doing some research I'm afraid it may have a slipped tendon. It's left leg sticks straight out and I think I can feel the tendon on the inside of it's leg which feels different than the right leg. I tried pushing it back into place using as much force as I dared without hurting the chick but it doesn't seem to help and I'm afraid I've waited too long to try and fix it at this point.

The chick is able to get around and eat and drink but spends much more time lying down than the rest of my chicks, is there any hope for fixing this now that I've let it go on for almost a week? and if not can this chick live with this problem or is this one that I probably need to cull?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sorry to hear about your chick. Slipped tendons can be from a leg bone deformity. Many times the hock joint or elbow can be swollen and red. You may want to look up a few threads about slipped tendons in the search box at the top of the page. Ciqala has one titled " Slipped tendon--anyone try to fix this?" Another good source is Poultry Pedia Podiatry on Google. It might help to use chicken vitamins with mineral in the water in case of a deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom