Help !! Smelly chicken wound!!

Laddu

Songster
May 1, 2021
India
IMG20220909213305.jpg
a dog bite my chicken
The wound is pretty big ..
I clean it with chlorhexidine solution n apply neosporin cream twice daily but one the wounded area has turned something like blue or purple can't exactly say what color but it has foul smell .. and there's no pus or anything ..
Please help what should I

If there is a foul smell then it's likely infected. You will need an antibiotic. I don't know what resources you have there, but amoxicillin or penicillin would be good, or even cephalexin. The longer it goes untreated the less likely recovery becomes, it could become septic.

For finding antibiotics you can buy the fish antibiotics called I think fish Mox and that would be amoxicillin

If there is a foul smell then it's likely infected. You will need an antibiotic. I don't know what resources you have there, but amoxicillin or penicillin would be good, or even cephalexin. The longer it goes untreated the less likely recovery becomes, it could become septic.
I give her an antibiotic name conflox and yesterday I found it smelly n today I applied neosporin n clean it too but not before ...
Dog bite her on 5sept 2022

The area around her tail you can see it looking like blue or something is the only place

Continue to clean with chlorhexidine twice a day and use the Neosporin. Make sure she doesn't get any dirt or poop into the wound and keep using the antibiotics

OK, that contains enrofloxacin. What dose are you giving? It's usually give for 5 days, so you may not see improvement immediately, takes time for the medication to get in there and work.

OK, that contains enrofloxacin. What dose are you giving? It's usually give for 5 days, so you may not see improvement immediately, takes time for the medication to get in there and work.
2-3 drops for 5 days
I noticed this part of wound today itself as it was smelly ...
Should I still continue with the antibiotic?

Yes, I would continue the antibiotic. If you have bad smell, it's needed.
The most common dose of enrofloxacin is 10mg/kg (I've seen it as high as 15mg/kg in a few places), twice a day. Since your medication is a 20% solution, that should be 200mg/ml. So if your bird is 6 lbs, that would be .14 ml twice a day (for 10mg/kg dose), orally. Depending on the size of your 'drop' you may be close to that, but need to do it every 12 hours.
This thread has the math and dosing info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-under-construction-℞.1241252/#post-19918579

Back
Top Bottom