HELP! Sour crop!

Yes Ginger is still alive, I saw she had bumblefoot and the vet removed it the day after. He stated that is was superficial which makes me very happy.

She still isn't eating and we are still syringe feeding her, she fights us like a bull. She is drinking and is gassy, we can hear her burp. this morning i gave her warm mash and cut into strawberries which she loves- I can she is considering it and then ultimately decides no.

Last night she had some liquidy dark green/brown poops which made believe that she was passing what needs to be passed. If there is something that needs to be passed. At the pound w everything I have read I'm running around in circles.
This morning before I left for work I noted it looked like she was straining to poop so maybe she is passing an impaction. I'll give her a warm bath today and olive oil and see if she releases anything.

Her crop is soft and small, I don't believe there is Anthing in there, maybe the blockage is in her bowels? I know her gas makes her crop feel full bc sometimes she does the neck swizzle like she is trying to get something down but then there is a burp and she is fine.

Still on antibiotics and nystatin, she is loosing weight as well.
Her comb and waddle still red she has bright moments but seems to prefers to relax.

Any suggestions.

.................................................snip.....................................................
Still on antibiotics and nystatin, she is loosing weight as well.
Her comb and waddle still red she has bright moments but seems to prefers to relax.

Any suggestions.
Yes, call your vet and get suppies from him for tube feeding. From him you'll need:
  • Size 18 french catheter.
  • 35ml or 60ml catheter tip syringe.

From petsmart or petco you'll need:
  • Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Food.

From Walmart or Target:
  • Digital kitchen scale to track daily weight gains/losses

Two great threads on how to tube feed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-visuals-very-detailed-post#post_11652991

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid#post_9910754

This is what the catheter tube looks like

This is a 35ml catheter tip syringe

This is the 5 pound bag of baby bird food, it also comes in a smaller container

DId your vet suggest tube feeding?

-Kathy

Last edited:
He did yes but never showed us how. He says inset right to left while facing her but honestly I don't know if I can do it I'm so afraid will hurt her or do something wrong. I'm really conflicted about tube feeing.

Will you give me a crash course please.

Read the links in my last post first. Then, if it's something you want to try, I'll PM you my number and talk you through it.

-Kathy

But you will need the supplies listed. I promise you that it will be very easy and you'll kick yourself for not trying it earlier.

-Kathy

The vet gave us a tube it's not a French Catheter. Yes please PM your number at this point I don't believe we have much of a choice. Thank you Kathy!

Is there a YouTube video that you consider a good emaple as well? My husband needs to see it done as well. He says he doesn't do well w only verbal instructions.

I don't have a URL for a picture. You can upload pics from a phone on this forum?

Back
Top Bottom