help suggestions for cause for black gritty SMELLY leaky poo ALL up and down from chicken vent AWFUL

newbiechickenowner

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Georgia, VT
One of my girls (and possibly a couple others) had what looked like a giant spot of diarrhea on her vent feathers. I flipped her upside down and it was GRITTY, Grainy, black SMELLY! poo or ooze or something covering all down under her vent out towards the leg feathers and all up above her vent with the feathers going up about 1/2 inch. It is NASTY. I pulled/cut tons of feathers all around and then washed with water and, a week later, it looks the same. This time, I realized that on the "lips" of her vent, there was "caked on" stuff. Although her poo hanging off looked OK, it was pasty and caked all around and as I washed it all off, I did have to "pick" off chunks of almost scab white/yellow/black material, but, it wasn't a "scab", going all around the immediate opening to the vent. Her vent and going inward all looks normal just that on the outer lip of the vent. It is SERIOUSLY gross. SERIOUSLY. otherwise, she is eating, drinking, running around fine. I have over 30 chickens and we pulled each one aside today and checked all vents and cut away feathers and looked for mites or lice, etc. no sign, but, I did feel like two more of the white leghorns had the starts of this black, gritty, grainy (almost sandy) SMELLY NASTY "poo" around all of the feathers of the vent. One was quite bad, but, didn't have the "scabby" stuff.

AnY clue? THey were wormed in the fall. I didn't find evidence of mites/lice, although we will powder them all tomorrow to make sure. I can't figure out what it is. I would love some suggestions ASAP! I don't want it to spread!

I agree, probably vent gleet. Give them some activated yogurt and put some Apple cider vinegar with "mother" in it, avaible at health food stores. This is basically a yeast infection, the yogurt and acv will help. You can also get human medication for yeast infection and spread in on the vent, wear gloves! Hope this helps.

this does help very much thank you as a yeast infection does make sense. That can spread too and that could be why just her and the two or three others because if they shared a roost at some point, that would be why it didn't spread to everyone. The black gritty stuff spreading up all and down all the feathers? sticky gritty? leakage or someting?

Back
Top Bottom