help ... tornadoes... power out

Several people have replied to cover with a hand towel. One towel covering the brooder will help hold in some heat. However, I would recommend two or three layers of towels over the top of the brooder. Just like dressing in layers in the winter. And it would even be better if they draped all the way over the sides to the floor, helping insulate the brooder as well. A box inside another box might help hold in the heat.

Good luck.

Putting hot water into a sealed bottle or bucket like a frosting bucket (free from most bakeries) will keep the heat from disapating too fast it kind of works like a radiator and puts out good heat. Your chicks are older so I think you will be okay just keeping them out of the draft for now. My broodie hen only sits with the chicks under her at night the rest of the time they are out with her with whatever the temp of the day. They are fine and mine are younger than yours. So I don't think it is that critical for you to worry a lot about heat - just draft and staying the heck out of any twisters way.

Stay safe in the storm and good luck

Caroline

You can also place a box inside of a box and inbetween the two boxes use newspapers - you can heat a brick if you have a gas oven and wrap it in a lot of newspaper.

In scouts my webelos did a cold camp out and we kept food warm with the hot brick and newpapers - we also added the inner box and kept things pretty warm. Look and see what you have available to use.

Quote:
They're perfectly fine at 80 degrees at 2-3 weeks old, that's well within the proper range for that age group. You don't want them any warmer than that really.

If they are cold, they will cheep and you will recognize the unhappiness in their voices, trust me.
smile.png

Agree completely. They will be fine.

Quote:
thanks. I put them in a smaller box. I have pine shavings, then 4 water bottles and more shavings. They are huddled together sleeping on top. It's the quietest and calmest I've ever seen them.

Ginger...what state are you in? I had a three hour power outage the other night. I did the hot water bottle thing....amazing enough the bottles stayed warm the entire time. My chicks will be two weeks old tomorrow so they needed some heat. They were all balled up in the garage brooder when I went out to get them...put them all in a basket and moved them into the small brooder in the bathroom...they never woke up! I had the water bottle in with towels over them in a circle. They slept the entire time. I also had an incubator going and put a hot water bottle on top and covered it with a down jacket and later with a blanket but made sure there was an air hole.

Bless you and I hope you get electricity soon.

Thabks. We're in Alabama. Water bottles are working. Just have to get up every 3 hours to change them.
smile.png

We're up in tn now where there is power, looking for warmers for the babies.

ginger c. :

Quote:
Ginger...what state are you in? I had a three hour power outage the other night. I did the hot water bottle thing....amazing enough the bottles stayed warm the entire time. My chicks will be two weeks old tomorrow so they needed some heat. They were all balled up in the garage brooder when I went out to get them...put them all in a basket and moved them into the small brooder in the bathroom...they never woke up! I had the water bottle in with towels over them in a circle. They slept the entire time. I also had an incubator going and put a hot water bottle on top and covered it with a down jacket and later with a blanket but made sure there was an air hole.

Bless you and I hope you get electricity soon.

Thabks. We're in Alabama. Water bottles are working. Just have to get up every 3 hours to change them.
smile.png

We're up in tn now where there is power, looking for warmers for the babies.​

thumbsup.gif

Good luck,

Our power is out too and we have 3 week olds. I used a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket any that are cuddled up to the blanket.. so far so good, but they are NOT happy without having any lights on!

I read this post last night. Then woke up this morning to no electricity. I was so glad that I had all these great suggestions fresh in my mind!! I have 3, 2.5 week olds. Already their brooder was down to 60. I heated some water up and put them in a couple of wine bottles (that were in the recycle box), wrapped them in a light weight kitchen towel and put them in the brooder. They perched on the bottles and seemed to be do OK. Our power is back on (after 5 hours) and as soon as the heat lamp came on they got up and started eating and drinking.
wee.gif

Hope your electric comes on soon. Even being off for 5 hours took up so much time reheating that water and switching out the bottles. Can't imagine having to do that for a few days.

Last edited:
I sure hope everyone and their fuzzy butts are all ok. I heard there were so many horrible storms/tornadoes last night.
Be safe, everyone! I'm praying for you.
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom