Help understanding guidelines

ducksinwashington

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2024
I was planning to build a duck run on the side of my house. No coop just wire run for when we can’t have them free range in the yard. Regulation says:

They state:
Cages/coops must be:

• Located at least 12 feet from the nearest portion of any residence, dwelling, hotel, apartment house or rooming house
  • Located behind the front wall of the main building on the parcel
  • Located outside of the required side yard setback area of the main building
  • Less than 200 square feet in size to be exempt from needing a building permit

Questions:
Does 12 feet apply to my own residence as well as neighbors? Seems like that should be my decision right?

Also confused by this. I looked up required side yard setback and it’s 5 feet but the way it’s worded sounds like it needs to be 5 feet from my “main building”, not the neighbors?
  • Located outside of the required side yard setback area of the main building

Last edited:
Hi! I'm not an expert so hopefully someone more experienced comes along to help soon :).
The code seems to say any residence, yours or otherwise. After a bit of research one website said that some cities require such buildings to be away from the house in case of fire (I guess the idea being there's more space for the fire department if necessary).
I think that it needs to be five feet from your required setback. So the minimum distance from the neighbor's house plus five feet, if that makes sense.
Hope this helps!

Hi! I'm not an expert so hopefully someone more experienced comes along to help soon :).
The code seems to say any residence, yours or otherwise. After a bit of research one website said that some cities require such buildings to be away from the house in case of fire (I guess the idea being there's more space for the fire department if necessary).
I think that it needs to be five feet from your required setback. So the minimum distance from the neighbor's house plus five feet, if that makes sense.
Hope this helps!
Annoying. They can free range in my yard but I can’t build a safe run for them?!

I would definitely say the coop/enclosure needs to a certain amount of feet away from your house (as well as your neighbor's) for the case of fire. I don't know what your city/town ordinance is, but there may be something against free ranging as well. (A noise ordinance is another thing to keep an eye one.) Is there someone at your town office that you can talk to? They might be able to provide you with more information.
Reading your first post, these regulations almost look like it's focusing more on building regulations and not livestock ordinances.

I think it's fairly straightforward. 12' from ANY residence (so that includes yours). Can't be in front yard. Can't be in the 5' required side yard space. Under 200 sq ft.

You could call city hall/county zoning to ensure you're in compliance.

Back
Top Bottom