HELP! Vent gleet? Or not…? Advice needed!!!

Mamacluck95

Hatching
Apr 29, 2024
Help! Picture is of my chickens vent after being soaked and cleaned up.

Been trying to treat this vent fleet for 3 weeks… daily soaks in soap and water, anti fungal cream, probiotics in water. It just won’t go away. I trimmed all her feathers to help keep her clean. Any advice?

I can’t find any vets in my area to help with chickens 😭

I’m thinking about injecting her vent with miconazole ?

Attachments

• 4B637637-9074-4EA0-A7BB-6C9413F28300.jpeg
    4B637637-9074-4EA0-A7BB-6C9413F28300.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 13
It looks like you have trimmed her feathers that were getting dirty. Most vent gleet causes a burning smellier than normal vent discharge which can burn the skin. There can be continuous drippage of white urate, and is due to a fungal/yeast/candida anlbicans infection. Some chickens just have diarrhea for some reason, and it may not clear the area below the vent, but is not vent gleet. If you have not wormed her recently with either Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste, I would do that. Probiotics, plain Greek yogurt, plain boiled rice, and cottage cheese in small amounts can help with the diarrhea. Your vet could run a fecal float on some fresh collected droppings to look for worms, coccidiosis or other parasites. Are you giving the miconazole cream or suppositories orally twice a day? Is her crop emptying overnight, and what does it feel like now? Does she lay eggs with normal shells? What is she eating?

It looks like you have trimmed her feathers that were getting dirty. Most vent gleet causes a burning smellier than normal vent discharge which can burn the skin. There can be continuous drippage of white urate, and is due to a fungal/yeast/candida anlbicans infection. Some chickens just have diarrhea for some reason, and it may not clear the area below the vent, but is not vent gleet. If you have not wormed her recently with either Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste, I would do that. Probiotics, plain Greek yogurt, plain boiled rice, and cottage cheese in small amounts can help with the diarrhea. Your vet could run a fecal float on some fresh collected droppings to look for worms, coccidiosis or other parasites. Are you giving the miconazole cream or suppositories orally twice a day? Is her crop emptying overnight, and what does it feel like now? Does she lay eggs with normal shells? What is she eating?
Thank you so much for the reply. Things are getting worse. This morning when I picked her up for her bath, her crop felt squishy and she vomited water. She seems real lethargic but continues to eat and drink. She lays everyday but not normal eggs, lately they are not cracked but lopsided and thin. I will attach pictures. I took a picture of her rear end before washing her as well…. Will attach pictures of her food recipe, keep in mind I cut the corn out with the warmer weather. I used worm clear in their water 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• FC3D9550-5E9D-4D80-8ED8-87D6FAE12AE0.jpeg
    FC3D9550-5E9D-4D80-8ED8-87D6FAE12AE0.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 6
  • 435C936A-8362-4B1E-8E14-E1107A9F56FF.jpeg
    435C936A-8362-4B1E-8E14-E1107A9F56FF.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 5
  • 9656D72B-3DE0-45BE-97A3-9B09AEDE9B1E.jpeg
    9656D72B-3DE0-45BE-97A3-9B09AEDE9B1E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom