Help! Winter run maintenance- PU!

yodelinginca

Chirping
Aug 31, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
Ok. So we have a 4x6 coop for our 5 hens, all covered & enclosed. However, our 6x10 run doesn't have a solid roof so when it rains the ground gets REALLY muddy. Normally we clean out the run once a week, but aside from collecting uneaten scraps we can't clean the droppings in the mud (we just plain can't find them as they've integrated and become part of the soil). As the season has progressed, the stench is resembling a freshly turned compost pile. The chickens don't seem to mind the mud, but does it present a hazard to them? The smell is really unpleasant. We're looking at putting a partial fiberglass roof over part of the run, but should we do the whole thing just to keep the soil dry for easy maintenance? Is there a bedding we should put in the run to catch the droppings and scoop that every week? I'm inclined to think they'll just dig it under (they scratch so much!), and then it'll just sit there as part of the fermenting mess...Any suggestions?

The mud IS detrimental as it provides a good place for bacteria and parasites to grow and easily reinfect, it can damage feathers, and the wetter it is the less cold hardy the birds will be. And you're also right composting is exactly what's happening and they will dig their droppings into their bedding.
However, luckily you can take advantage of all your "problems" by laying down a 1' layer of woodchips. I get mine fresh from local tree companies for free by the truckload, but bonus points if you can age them first since some say they can develop harmful fungi in those first couple months after being cut. I've never had problems though and don't have the space to age them so into the pen they go.
Then suddenly your awful anaerobic composting chicken waste with no carbon becomes good, aerobic composting chicken waste with plenty of carbon. No need to scoop or turn this "compost pile" as the chickens are doing all the work for you already with all that problematic scratching! The chicken waste will break down rapidly in the wood chips minimizing their contact with their own waste and competing micro-organisms will keep harmful microorganism counts lower. And the properly balanced compost will keep smells MUCH more under control. Additionally the chunky mis-matched sized pieces of wood will allow water to drain and soak up small amounts of standing water like a sponge. It also creates a great environment for beetles and earthworms which your chickens will love to dig down to find and eat.
(FYI, it sounds like maybe your compost piles need more carbon too if they smell like a muddy, poopy, chicken run!)

Even better, after a year or two when the chips have broken down you will have tons of amazing compost mulch to scoop into garden beds and then throw down new wood chips. It can become an integrated part of any system you have and it's a once-a-year maintenance thing. I only turn my wood chips in the spring after feet of snow and ice compacts them severely.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Are you actually in California? I am, at the extreme northwest edge! :woot Adding your general location to your profile will help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Many people use "deep litter method", it allows for scratching and is even encouraged. A term for you top search. :thumbsup From what I understand adding large bark wood chunks like for landscaping use (not treated with anything) can be very useful in eliminating mud and stink.

I don't personally like sand after buying a truckload and using.

I use "semi-deep litter" in my covered run, aiming to mimic the forest floor, while removing what waste I can... it never get's wet or "hot" enough to actually compost.. but does invite good bacteria to join the party and keep things in balance. Variety in size and materials is key to not packing down.

Whether you cover the whole run or not may depend on your main weather pattern. Some folks do need to allow sun in somewhere, while others need to keep snow or rain out. Since the grass is already eliminated in the run... I would cover it... better protection from both weather and predators. But for me keeping chickens has been an ongoing learning, growing, and changing adventure... meaning I might give a different answer years from now. ;)

I'm sure lots of peeps will share their helpful hints and experiences!

Happy adventures! :wee

Ok. So we have a 4x6 coop for our 5 hens, all covered & enclosed. However, our 6x10 run doesn't have a solid roof so when it rains the ground gets REALLY muddy. Normally we clean out the run once a week, but aside from collecting uneaten scraps we can't clean the droppings in the mud (we just plain can't find them as they've integrated and become part of the soil). As the season has progressed, the stench is resembling a freshly turned compost pile. The chickens don't seem to mind the mud, but does it present a hazard to them? The smell is really unpleasant. We're looking at putting a partial fiberglass roof over part of the run, but should we do the whole thing just to keep the soil dry for easy maintenance? Is there a bedding we should put in the run to catch the droppings and scoop that every week? I'm inclined to think they'll just dig it under (they scratch so much!), and then it'll just sit there as part of the fermenting mess...Any suggestions?
Drainage first, then wood chippings.
Please post pics of your run and the surrounding area for more specific suggestions.

also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-11_15-25-38.png

This is our current set up for run. Basically, at this point we're planning on putting more of the roofing fiberglass that's above the coop over the run (though we'll probably go for the white to let on more light).

Attachments

• 20191213_104702.jpg
    20191213_104702.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom