Help with an unabsorbed yolk sac

Most will tell you to leave it alone and it will reabsorb. That has not been my experience. The chick will give himself a hernia by stepping on the egg sac that will be difficult to stuff back in. This will look like a loop of intestine is hanging out as well as the egg sac which will blacken with time. The other chicks will instinctively peck at it and give the chick a slow miserable death if not isolated. If the chick has a hernia he will probably die, even if isolated in about 3 days. I would cut off the egg sac and cauterize the stump immediately or clamp it for 30 minutes especially since its already broken. The dangling mess he is dragging around is inviting infection and will almost certainly be stepped on pulling out things that won't go back in and making life impossible. I would also dip his bill in sugar water and keep him warm and isolated. Very tiny amounts of sugar water will keep him going.

Would it look like this?

I clipped because it was causing bleeding and pecking and her legs were getting tangled........... the V part was around her neck.

I have a hen. She set a clutch of about twenty eggs. Last time she did this we lost 5 chicks.... crushed into the other eggs. So she had three dry fluffy ones and i pulled about ten eggs. She still has several. We used our oven and boiled water for steam... humidity. I didn't have a temp gauge.

I took them as she had already crushed 2.... My odds were as good as hers, I figured.

It is 1:15 a.m. We started this about 6 p.m. We have four hatched out. Three had partial egg "sacs," dunno. They looked pretty well used. I broke the little chord and stuck the chick in my jacket up next to my neck. Then after an hour put it in cedar shavings in a closet near our hot water heater. There with a hot pepsi bottle they will be until morning. I'm hoping they all make it.

I used a puppy nurser bottle and squeezed droplets of water and Karo syrup onto the end of beaks. Three had these .... sacs. We have four chirpy chicks that are from 4hours to 30 minutes out of the egg. I did help 3 as I was worried they'd get suffocated by the inner skin if not humid enough.

They seem fine.

This is our short chick story. I know most of the posts on here are old. Maybe this will help someone else equally unprepared for the complexity of the final hatch stage.

i just had the same thing happen a few minutes ago thanks for the help guys i was worried about hin hopefully it will be ok

I have one that just hatched out, its laying on its side in the bottom half of the egg with little bit of yolk still on his tummy. It was a very bloody hatch, he's still breathing shallowly. What is the chance of him surviving?

Going through this now as well..... her sac has popped 14 hours after she was hatched, now i'm waiting to see how it will dry out and if shes going to make it. <3

I just had this happen today. The yolk is still attached. About the size of a quarter. I put it in a tea cup on a damp towel and its resting there but doesn't look good. Breathing shallow. Anything else I should do??

Hello not sure if this is the right spot for this but I have looked at a lot of different posts and haven't found exactly what I need so hoping someone will know what to do. We had two bantams go broody within three days of one another and than the day before yesterday they started hatching literally at the same time. My girl in the last nest continued to go to the back corner the whole time her babies were hatching, every time we went in to check progress she was further in the corner we couldn't figure out why. We could tell she had about three babies at that point than yesterday we went out and she was in the nest with the other one and all made sense the babies that had hatched had all been creeping to the other mother's nest by way of the back wall having a space for the little ones to go to the nest ( we weren't aware the space was there we just bought the house) Anyway the mom obviously was panicing I think because she could hear the babies but couldn't get them back so she abandoned her nest and hopped down and back up into the others nest. We rushed all her eggs to inside incubator but one was already gone a pip hole was open and it was dried up. When we went outside again the first mama was pecking at the other mamas egg that was in the middle of hatching. pulling off eggshell and pulling at the yolk than the mama did a few pecks too we weren't sure is this normal? Do they sometimes help? After a few moments some of the chicks joined in the pecking so we grabbed it and rushed it in it took a long time to hatch but seems o.k. now However when we went out again one of them had thrown an egg from the nest. We took all eggs and babies at this time as I think one was losing it. The one that was thrown from the nest hatched and we thought he would die last night but he's still hanging in there but there is a blood bubble on his bottom so now to my long winded question, what is this bubble? I've seen people talking about yolk sacs but it's all red just like a blood bubble so is it yolk or something else? How long til it will go away or is he going to die. How long til we take him out of incubator He's dry but the bubble's still there. Also a few are picking at his bubble ocassionally but I can't take them out because all the eggs keep pipping what do i do? HELP!

Back
Top Bottom