Help with Breed identification

Pics
Right except: any of the rose comb breeds has a chance of carrying the not-rose gene, so they sometimes do produce chicks with single combs.

Yes, pea + rose is walnut, if the chick actually inherits those genes from the parents. But if the parents show pea or rose comb, they might not actually be pure for those genes. A cross of pea comb (carrying not-pea) and rose comb (carrying not-rose) can produce walnut, pea, rose, and single combs.

Rr is often written with the capital letter (dominant gene) first, no matter which parent it came from. But yes, a cross of RR with rr gives chicks that are Rr (looks rose but carries the not-rose gene that is needed for a single comb).

Yes, I should have clarified. Assuming thst the parents are homozygous for their comb types, what i said is true

Right except: any of the rose comb breeds has a chance of carrying the not-rose gene, so they sometimes do produce chicks with single combs.

Yes, pea + rose is walnut, if the chick actually inherits those genes from the parents. But if the parents show pea or rose comb, they might not actually be pure for those genes. A cross of pea comb (carrying not-pea) and rose comb (carrying not-rose) can produce walnut, pea, rose, and single combs.

Rr is often written with the capital letter (dominant gene) first, no matter which parent it came from. But yes, a cross of RR with rr gives chicks that are Rr (looks rose but carries the not-rose gene that is needed for a single comb).
Dang I learn something new everytime I talk about this topic, thanks for telling me that.😄

A cross of pea comb (carrying not-pea) and rose comb (carrying not-rose) can produce walnut, pea, rose, and single combs.
Would you call these all "modified pea combs?" I've always just used the term for EE when the pea comb obviously doesn't look like it should. Since a walnut comb, comes from two homozygous comb type carriers, seems like it doesn't fit that category.
Yes, I should have clarified. Assuming thst the parents are homozygous for their comb types, what i said is true
Yes.

The barred bearded cockerel isn't too hard to achieve. We had two here over the course of the hatches. But the beard/muff phenotype is not as cut and dry as a lot of other sex chromosomes, because you can exhibit "partial dominance" in chickens. We see this a lot in EE's. They will have an M and B, but it just doesn't look as it should. This guy looks to have received enough alleles to have a really nice beard / but the rooster who made him was also double barred, because he only has one copy.

It is likely the person selling these eggs is like me, where they just allow the chickens to mate with whoever they want and produce some wild looking chickens. The more you do this, the more muttled defining characteristics become. They will start to look a lot like the bird pictured here who has a little bit of splashing and a small crest.

Would you call these all "modified pea combs?" I've always just used the term for EE when the pea comb obviously doesn't look like it should. Since a walnut comb, comes from two homozygous comb type carriers, seems like it doesn't fit that category.
"Modified pea comb" is usually used for birds that are P/p r/r (one copy of the pea comb gene, no rose comb gene). They have a pea comb (as in, not single, not rose, not walnut), but it is often big and odd-shaped, rather than the tidy pea comb found in P/P chickens, that is expected in any of the pea comb breeds.

A chicken that has P/p and R/r has a walnut comb (genetically speaking), and it does look different than the "modified pea combs." Having any rose comb genes will tend to make the comb wider on the chicken's head, along with changing the shape. That is one of the traits that can be seen earliest, when checking comb types on chicks.

A walnut comb can come from parents that are homozygous for rose and pea, but it can also come from birds that are heterozygous for one or both of those genes.

The barred bearded cockerel isn't too hard to achieve. We had two here over the course of the hatches. But the beard/muff phenotype is not as cut and dry as a lot of other sex chromosomes, because you can exhibit "partial dominance" in chickens.
Muff & beard have nothing to do with sex chromosomes. That gene is located on one of the autosomes (chromsomes that are the same in males and females, and have nothing to do with determining sex.)

We see this a lot in EE's. They will have an M and B, but it just doesn't look as it should. This guy looks to have received enough alleles to have a really nice beard
Muff/beard is one gene. The abbreviation is Mb.
There must be some other genes that control how big it is, and whether the muffs (sides) or beard (bottom) part are emphasized, but the basic gene that turns the whole thing on or off is just one gene.

the rooster who made him was also double barred, because he only has one copy.
Nope. His father could be single-barred or double-barred. Or if his mother was barred, the father might have no barring at all.

A double-barred father has two barring genes, so he gives one to every chick he sires. A single-barred father has one barring gene and one not-barring gene, so he gives barring to some chicks and not-barred to some other chicks. A barred hen will give barring to her sons (Z sex chromosome) and nothing to her daughters (W sex chromosome that makes them female but does not have a barring gene or a not-barring gene.)

It is likely the person selling these eggs is like me, where they just allow the chickens to mate with whoever they want and produce some wild looking chickens. The more you do this, the more muttled defining characteristics become.
I agree.

Since many of the eggs were colored, I would guess that many ancestors were Cream Legbars, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, and maybe Ameraucanas or Araucanas. Letting those mix for a few generations could give quite a variety of traits in the chicks, like what we are seeing here.

For any that lay blue or green eggs, it would be reasonable to call them "Easter Eggers." For any that do not lay blue or green eggs, they could be called "Barnyard mixes," or they could be called "brown eggers" or "white eggers" based on what egg color they produce.

Back
Top Bottom