Help with Breed identification

Ok, my guess was that if it lays green eggs, then maybe it's a Mint Egger crossed with Dominique. But we know now that it lays white eggs so I have no more guesses)) However a nice mix for a hen, OP, I love those feet and the beak. I am soon gonna get some new chickens and roosters so I really hope I will get beautiful mixes. I think I will purchase an Ayam Cemani rooster (yeah I know it's expensive, but it will be my birthday present for me), and also Hamburg chickens, because their color and print of the feather are so unique. I will think of some more chicken breeds I need surfing the internet and cool articles.

Ok, my guess was that if it lays green eggs, then maybe it's a Mint Egger crossed with Dominique. But we know now that it lays white eggs so I have no more guesses)) However a nice mix for a hen, OP, I love those feet and the beak. I am soon gonna get some new chickens and roosters so I really hope I will get beautiful mixes. I think I will purchase an Ayam Cemani rooster (yeah I know it's expensive, but it will be my birthday present for me), and also Hamburg chickens, because their color and print of the feather are so unique. I will think of some more chicken breeds I need surfing the internet and cool articles.

This bird isn't laying yet. As for your guess, I believe rose comb is dominant over straight comb, and pea comb×rose comb gives you walnut, so this bird can't be a Dominique cross. I could be wrong though, so let's tag another expert which I forgot to tag earlier (sorry) :oops: @NatJ

Have you checked the EAP? Are the requirements for a new breed the same as with the APA? Can we see some of his offspring? Also are you from Italy? If so, hi neighbour :) :frow
Yes I'm from Italy!!!! By hi neighbor do you mean you're from the EU aswell and yes I've checked the requirements for making a breed and it's quite complex, also I'm doing a hatch and that means I'm currently incubating some siblings for him so I can later safely inbreed them to breed them pure a very important step. Do I did kinda mis word what I said.

So this
easter-egger-bantam-mpc.jpg

Mixed with with?
dominique-chicken-under-leaves-800x500.jpg

Yes I'm from Italy!!!! By hi neighbor do you mean you're from the EU aswell and yes I've checked the requirements for making a breed and it's quite complex, also I'm doing a hatch and that means I'm currently incubating some siblings for him so I can later safely inbreed them to breed them pure a very important step. Do I did kinda mis word what I said.

By hi neighbour I mean I'm one of your neighbours country wise, because I'm in Greece! Sounds like a good plan, you can even make a thread about them, I'd love to see some pics!

This bird isn't laying yet. As for your guess, I believe rose comb is dominant over straight comb, and pea comb×rose comb gives you walnut, so this bird can't be a Dominique cross. I could be wrong though, so let's tag another expert which I forgot to tag earlier (sorry) :oops: @NatJ
I actually wrote a whole paper on this gene when doing research on how to make a new breed.

Ok so say single comb stands for rr and say the rose comb stands for RR, then that would make the rose comb a dominant gene and if you were to cross the two you'll either get Rr or rR. In order to get rR you need to cross a rr female (pure bred single comb) with a RR male (pure bred rose comb) and to get Rr you need to do the opposite of the other one.

By hi neighbour I mean I'm one of your neighbours country wise, because I'm in Greece! Sounds like a good plan, you can even make a thread about them, I'd love to see some pics!
Sure! I did actually put a few eggs in but sadly only 1 has survived this long and I really hope it hatches and has the dominant black gene I'm looking for!

As for your guess, I believe rose comb is dominant over straight comb, and pea comb×rose comb gives you walnut, so this bird can't be a Dominique cross. I could be wrong though, so let's tag another expert which I forgot to tag earlier (sorry) :oops: @NatJ

Right except: any of the rose comb breeds has a chance of carrying the not-rose gene, so they sometimes do produce chicks with single combs.

Yes, pea + rose is walnut, if the chick actually inherits those genes from the parents. But if the parents show pea or rose comb, they might not actually be pure for those genes. A cross of pea comb (carrying not-pea) and rose comb (carrying not-rose) can produce walnut, pea, rose, and single combs.

I actually wrote a whole paper on this gene when doing research on how to make a new breed.

Ok so say single comb stands for rr and say the rose comb stands for RR, then that would make the rose comb a dominant gene and if you were to cross the two you'll either get Rr or rR. In order to get rR you need to cross a rr female (pure bred single comb) with a RR male (pure bred rose comb) and to get Rr you need to do the opposite of the other one.

Rr is often written with the capital letter (dominant gene) first, no matter which parent it came from. But yes, a cross of RR with rr gives chicks that are Rr (looks rose but carries the not-rose gene that is needed for a single comb).

Back
Top Bottom