LunaMarieWolf

Songster
Dec 31, 2018
Wister, OK
I am trying to build a new coop for my chooks. I have 1 year to do it, as the hubby agreed that I can get more next year!
The downside is, I have a small coop, since I had an accident where a pack of dogs ripped off my coop door and ate all my chickens.

Hubby agreed that if I can build a bigger coop, and finish repairing the fence, I can get more next spring!

Anyway, I am look at no more than 10 chooks all together, so I have sketched out plans and started building a pallet coop.
I am just wondering what to use for the flooring. I have so far had wood panel flooring, laminate flooring, and dirt flooring in my coops (I have had several over the years). I will have a pallet flooring covered by plywood and need it sealed.
Do you guys recommend wood sealant, liquid rubber flooring, rubber mats, or wood sealing pant?

I also need help with my fencing, as I am going to be running a live wire across my fencing to deter dogs in the future.

We had a chain link fence surrounding our house, plus inside our back yard, had 1/4 inch wire stapled to wooden posts. The dogs not only dug under the chain link, but they ripped the fencing off of the run, tore our coop door off its hinges and got our previous chooks. (I live in the middle of a city and had never had experienced a pack of dogs as vicious as these, plus I got them on camera and sued the owner of the dogs for property damage)

How do you go about setting up a couple of strands of live wire? I currently have 1/2 acre of land the chooks can roam on, so you can only image how much fencing I have 😅. How many feet can the wire be before I have to add a second solar panel? Can I have 3 strands of wire on the fencing, or is there a limit? Do I have to put up a live wire sign even though its in my backyard?

Any and all help would be appreciated thank you!!

I am trying to build a new coop for my chooks. I have 1 year to do it, as the hubby agreed that I can get more next year!
The downside is, I have a small coop, since I had an accident where a pack of dogs ripped off my coop door and ate all my chickens.

Hubby agreed that if I can build a bigger coop, and finish repairing the fence, I can get more next spring!

Anyway, I am look at no more than 10 chooks all together, so I have sketched out plans and started building a pallet coop.
I am just wondering what to use for the flooring. I have so far had wood panel flooring, laminate flooring, and dirt flooring in my coops (I have had several over the years). I will have a pallet flooring covered by plywood and need it sealed.
Do you guys recommend wood sealant, liquid rubber flooring, rubber mats, or wood sealing pant?

I also need help with my fencing, as I am going to be running a live wire across my fencing to deter dogs in the future.

We had a chain link fence surrounding our house, plus inside our back yard, had 1/4 inch wire stapled to wooden posts. The dogs not only dug under the chain link, but they ripped the fencing off of the run, tore our coop door off its hinges and got our previous chooks. (I live in the middle of a city and had never had experienced a pack of dogs as vicious as these, plus I got them on camera and sued the owner of the dogs for property damage)

How do you go about setting up a couple of strands of live wire? I currently have 1/2 acre of land the chooks can roam on, so you can only image how much fencing I have 😅. How many feet can the wire be before I have to add a second solar panel? Can I have 3 strands of wire on the fencing, or is there a limit? Do I have to put up a live wire sign even though its in my backyard?

Any and all help would be appreciated thank you!!
New backyarder myself but in researching coops and predator protection it was mentioned that a 4' hardware cloth apron laid and pinned around the run will keep out digging animals as always dig at the "wall" of the pen, not feet away.
As far as coop flooring goes, an inexpensive linoleum over whatever underlayment you have (plywood, pallets, etc.) makes it very easy to clean and long-lasting.
Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom