BoomChickWow

Chirping
May 20, 2023
I was set on using sand in my coop and run based on advantages I had read about and the “Chicken Chick” and others recommendations. Now I am questioning it after reading an article in how it should never be used. I might be overthinking but now I am not sure what to use! I live in a residential area so wanting something easier to keep regularly clean with less odor. Hemp would probably be my second option. Please help!🙂 We are building a bigger coop and run that will be ready in a couple weeks so I want to make a decision soon

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 90
Dedicate an area for composting the chicken poop. That said, bedding is only needed in the coop and nestbox. If your run is situated over dirt that's perfect. Cause all you need to do in there run is sweep it. The dry dirt acts as an absorbent media. Which will diffuse the smell.

As for the bedding small pine flakes seems to work the best so far for me. It will also depend on how frequent you will clean it out.

If you plan to clean it every morning, no more than 2 inches deep.

If you do it once a week. First layer is 1 inch deep then you add a light layer each day.

Helps immensely to have the following info:
1) What's your general location or climate like?
2) Any existing drainage issues at the site of the run, or drainage issues in general with the soil?

Deep litter and sand are both popular litter options, but the "best" option really varies based on each individual set up.

Dedicate an area for composting the chicken poop. That said, bedding is only needed in the coop and nestbox. If your run is situated over dirt that's perfect. Cause all you need to do in there run is sweep it. The dry dirt acts as an absorbent media. Which will diffuse the smell.

As for the bedding small pine flakes seems to work the best so far for me. It will also depend on how frequent you will clean it out.

If you plan to clean it every morning, no more than 2 inches deep.

If you do it once a week. First layer is 1 inch deep then you add a light layer each day.
Our coop is in an area we had leveled for a large trampoline. We had mulch over the dirt. I need to build it up a little and planned on adding dirt and then sand on top of that
2) Any existing drainage issues at the site of the run, or drainage issues in general with the soil?

Deep litter and sand are both popular litter options, but the "best" option really varies based on each individual set up

Deep litter and sand are both popular litter options, but the "best" option really varies based on each individual set up.
Oh good point thanks! I am in Northern Colorado on the front range, north of Denver in Greeley. Our snowfall amount varies but we get a lot of sunshine in winter also. The coop and run are in an area that is 50/50 during the day with shade and sun. There are no drainage issues. The run will be about 85sq ft for at most 6-7 hens. That said I won’t be able to free range them for long periods, so most of their time will be in run.

:frowNorthern Colorado here too!

I use a mix of wood chips and garden leavings as well as grass clippings in my run in my coop I use pine shavings. It doesn't get stinky in either location. In the fall I pile in all the leaves from my yard and the chickens break it down over the winter scratching through it. My flock ranges from 12 to 25 birds at a time. I have kept chickens for over 12 years in this yard and never had an issue doing it this way.

Thank you that’s helpful! I just found a Chip drop service here where I could get wood chips for free. I may try that! Do you just sort of toss it around and add on top of it in the run? It won’t be very far from my neighbors property so I also am wanting to be courteous and keep the smell down

With wood chips, you ideally want to let them age first. Since it sounds like you may need to use them before you have the chance to age them, best to apply them in thin layers at first, over time, and let it build up gradually, so the chips can air out and lose some of their aromatic qualities and greenness and, to prevent harmful molds from growing.

With wood chips, you ideally want to let them age first. Since it sounds like you may need to use them before you have the chance to age them, best to apply them in thin layers at first, over time, and let it build up gradually, so the chips can air out and lose some of their aromatic qualities and greenness and, to prevent harmful molds from growing.
Thanks. Since my run will be over dirt I assume it will be ok to lay down a thin layer and slowly add more. Our climate is pretty dry so hopefully it won’t take too long to dry them out?

I have a covered run that stays mostly dry and I use wood chips, leaves, dried grass clippings, long pine tree needles that they drop once or twice a year, pretty much anything like that and free is always better. I got some large reusable totes for gathering leaves that works great to collect and store them in fall. I use the deep litter method and I clean it out once a year. I don't have any strong or bad smell, usually smells like the bedding most of the time. I throw a little scratch to get the chickens to turn it for me or do it myself if they don't get all the areas. I put a little extra bedding on top when it starts getting messy or broken down, maybe every couple weeks to once a month. That seems to work fine for an area that stays pretty dry. I got some really nice mulch out of the bottom when I cleaned it out this year too so great for gardening!

Back
Top Bottom