Help with feed waste!

They love it

Attachments

• 582ACEC6-17DA-4EFC-BA8A-06F0F3F4A70D.jpeg
    582ACEC6-17DA-4EFC-BA8A-06F0F3F4A70D.jpeg
    930.4 KB · Views: 12
My son made me this one and I love it so do The chickens. Never any waste, it holds enough for over a week. I cut the PVC pipe in half and it snaps tightly in place. I cover it every night and open it every morning. They have access all day long. I have 4 pullets now 15 weeks, 3 Hens 20 weeks And 2 roosters same age. The feeder is a predator proof Run. The cap is a tight fitting kitchen clean out locking cap. Completely predator proof too. I’ll post a pic.

Attachments

• 914D1CCE-B6B0-442E-AD8C-32D0AF507DC1.jpeg
    914D1CCE-B6B0-442E-AD8C-32D0AF507DC1.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2936990E-4247-479B-A6FC-70E9F0DB0B8C.png
    2936990E-4247-479B-A6FC-70E9F0DB0B8C.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 4FC596F2-35E5-4A09-AEE7-6CF332DF0A0D.jpeg
    4FC596F2-35E5-4A09-AEE7-6CF332DF0A0D.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 8
My son made me this one and I love it so do The chickens. Never any waste, it holds enough for over a week. I cut the PVC pipe in half and it snaps tightly in place. I cover it every night and open it every morning. They have access all day long. I have 4 pullets now 15 weeks, 3 Hens 20 weeks And 2 roosters same age. The feeder is a predator proof Run. The cap is a tight fitting kitchen clean out locking cap. Completely predator proof too. I’ll post a pic.
What sized pipe?
What's the towel for?

I believe 4” pipe. The towel is a temporary hole filler until I decide to cover it with dryer flashing or Rubber seal, something water resistant and aesthetic. My son made the whole a little too big 😆. Now My hubby wants to move the entire feeder on the back wall with the auto-waterer, replace the panel, paint and trim before winter. It’s a “WIP” work-in-progress. 😊 The final design is still in the final works. But I love the feeder and waterer. So does my neighbors who added one to theirs after watching our babies while we went on our family camp trip.

The Vanilla air fresheners have worked great keeping the flies away from the food. I seen it on a video and tried it. Was shocked how well it works. Even inside their coop. It’s only good for small areas. I change them every 6 weeks when I light clean the run area. My farmer neighbor made fun of me. But then again him and his wife saw it work during 103 degree weather. Now they use them and home grown herbs which they share with me. 😎👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for all the suggestions! This is the one my hubby made for me. Works a lot better without as much waste. It's a little to tall for some of my chicks til they get bigger but I could put a brick for them to stand on but I still got the other feeders out right now too.

Attachments

• 20200828_073701.jpg
    20200828_073701.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 13
They love it

I made a feeder like that with a 5 gallon bucket and some PVC elbows. I hang it about the height of my chickens back. It has reduced the spillage to almost nothing, but every once in awhile I can see some feed on the floor.

I keep both my feed and water in the chicken coop itself. I have not had any rodent problems getting into the feed. But I designed my coop to be big enough to house the birds and their food and water. This past winter, my hens did not leave the coop for almost 5 months. They just had no desire to go outside in the snow filled chicken run. I also believe they should have access to food and water 24/7. If you have a rodent problem, consider other options to keep the rodents out rather than limiting the access for your birds to their feed.

Some people capture and kill those rodents and feed them back to their chickens. Chickens are omnivores and will eat just about anything. I feed them our kitchen scraps and they will pick meat bones clean. If it does not bother you, a fresh mouse would probably be eaten in short time by your chickens.

hredirect2.jpg

chicken-mouse-23953029.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry forgot pic
I hate those feeders mine is one I made its a pvc pipe I cut holes in it ran it through the walls and I just put food in your best bet would be set up the no waste ones your husband made doesn't it have a lid is your feeder outside or inside mine is inside and saves space i will take a picture tomorrow and post it

I made a feeder like that with a 5 gallon bucket and some PVC elbows. I hang it about the height of my chickens back. It has reduced the spillage to almost nothing, but every once in awhile I can see some feed on the floor.

I keep both my feed and water in the chicken coop itself. I have not had any rodent problems getting into the feed. But I designed my coop to be big enough to house the birds and their food and water. This past winter, my hens did not leave the coop for almost 5 months. They just had no desire to go outside in the snow filled chicken run. I also believe they should have access to food and water 24/7. If you have a rodent problem, consider other options to keep the rodents out rather than limiting the access for your birds to their feed.

Some people capture and kill those rodents and feed them back to their chickens. Chickens are omnivores and will eat just about anything. I feed them our kitchen scraps and they will pick meat bones clean. If it does not bother you, a fresh mouse would probably be eaten in short time by your chickens.

View attachment 2310957

View attachment 2310958
Thats awesome I've never had a mouse/rat issue i have cats and my cats don't bother my chickens i have 1cat that if you don't let him in the coop to love on his chicken buddy he will sit and scream till you do

Attachments

• Resized_20200504_222820.jpeg
    Resized_20200504_222820.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom