Help with genetics? Black and Lavender orps

I was told a black orp was a black orp but would like to hear from some of the breeders here. I don't want to breed blue into a generation then have to give them away do to a mess up like this

I was told a black orp was a black orp but would like to hear from some of the breeders here. I don't want to breed blue into a generation then have to give them away do to a mess up like this
I read on the genetics section somplace someone had put the combinations of blue , black and splash what % chicks you would get

According to this Black on Black gets 100% black
And.Blue is not a true color.Just what was written here not my opinion.

I am in no way an expert. However, I understand that you will not get lavenders. You will get a mixture from what an expert told me. They said you will have a problem for generations with this combo since the blue will always want to come through instead of lavender.

This seems right to me since I got some that seem to be blue laced Ameraucanas. The inside part of the feather is lavender, but they are laced with blue. I have a rooster that is similar except he is laced with red.

I would breed a black/lavender roo to only lavender hens if you want to get the right colors.

If I have a black orp roo that is out of a black/blue cross, can he be used to produce splits with lavender orps? or will this mess it up?

Any help much appreciated

Yes he can be use to create lavender splits(they will all be black but carry the lavender gene, which is what you want), Blue(Bl/bl+) is a dominant gene and if you cant see it on a black bird its because there is NO blue gene at all in that bird

I am in no way an expert. However, I understand that you will not get lavenders. You will get a mixture from what an expert told me. They said you will have a problem for generations with this combo since the blue will always want to come through instead of lavender.
that´s not how it works, if the offspring of bluexblack is Black then he lacks the blue gene, and the blue wont be poping up at any time

Back
Top Bottom