Help with getting sheep??

DearChicken

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
Hello, I’m new here. I reeeeally want to get some sheep (had bad experience with goats) but don’t know what breed to get. I kinda want dairy sheep because people say the milk is good. But I have never kept sheep before and want something hardy. Also something suited for hot climates. Definitely no shearing!! Maybe Lacaune (I couldn’t find any with reasonable price, one ewe cost $800) or katahdin? ( I know it’s not a dairy, but I read that you can milk it...) if you have any suggestions, please please let me know!!

I too would suggest a hair sheep breed that sheds its own wool. They are a lot easier to take care of. We have a Damara Ram and Wiltshire Ewes (I'm in a different country to you and I'm sure you have a lot more breeds to choose from). Rarer breeds will always be more expensive, but you'll need to breed them if you want milk so you will recoup some of the cost if you can sell the offspring.

I have 3 East Friesian sheep, but they are a wool sheep. I absolutely love them though. We chose sheep instead of goats because of so many stories from friends about goats escaping and challenging fencing. Our sheep are friendly, docile, and so fun to have around. We don't milk ours. We just use them for fiber. Good luck on your sheep quest!

If you want a milk supply do a a lot more research before you get a sheep for milk. I don't know much about dairy sheep. People do milk them commercially and the milk is used for specialty cheeses. Sheep milk is a lot richer than goat or cow milk. As for hair sheep, I have always been intrigued by Dorpers. They look a lot like Boer goats.

Back
Top Bottom