Help with Impacted Crop

avapitman

Hatching
May 14, 2023
I posted a few days ago about one of my 1 year old Black Sex-Linked hens who was displaying strange symptoms. She was staying in the nesting box, breathing strangely, and being picked on my the other hens. I have since narrowed her condition down to an impacted crop… I think.

Most likely it is a piece of forage blocking her system. The hens free rage and had access to an unmowed lawn and plenty of other forage. Besides that they just eat layer pellets and our kitchen scraps. I kept her from food for a good 24 hours and her crop felt like a hard ball in the morning. It seems to loosen up throughout the day after drinking water perhaps? I can feel pieces of grit when I massage it but other than that I can’t identify what the mass is.

She is still pooping, but it is on and off diarrhea/very green and foragey looking. She has not laid any eggs for days. Her breathing is rattling and raspy on and off. She has had little to eat, I gave her a scrambled egg yesterday but she did not eat anything when I tried today. She has been eating grit and drinking plenty of water. I have tried giving her some olive oil as I’ve read for a treatment. Her crop doesn’t seem to be getting any bigger and I believe she is passing some of the stuff inside. However it seems like she should be more improved by now. Is there anything else I can do to help her or is it time for me to call the vet for help?

Back
Top Bottom